Spring: Prior to Applying
- Research areas of interest, institutions, and programs.
- Talk to advisers about application requirements.
- Register and prepare for appropriate graduate entrance exams.
- Investigate national scholarships.
- If appropriate, obtain letter of recommendation.
Summer: Prior to Applying
- Take required graduate entrance exams.
- Download application materials.
- Visit institutions of interest, if possible.
- Write your application essay and have it reviewed for comments by faculty and a career advisor.
- Check on application deadlines and rolling admissions policies.
Fall: Application Time
- Obtain letters of recommendation.
- Send in completed applications.
- Fill out the Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or pick up at the Financial Aid Office.
- Check with all institutions before their deadlines to make sure your file is complete.
- Schedule interviews as needed.
- Visit institutions that accept you.
- Send a deposit to your chosen institution.
- Notify other colleges and universities that accepted you of your decision so that they can admit students on their waiting list.
- Send thank-you notes to people who wrote your recommendation letters, informing them of your decision.