Although prerequisite requirements vary from school to school, requirements common to a majority of programs include (but are not limited to):
- Biology/Zoology: 1 or 2 semesters
- General Chemistry: 2 semesters
- Physics: 2 semesters
- Psychology: 1 semester
- Human Growth and Development: 1 semesters
- Statistics: 1 semester
- Human Physiology: 1 semester
- Human Anatomy: 1 semester
- Exercise physiology/Exercise science: 1 semester
In addition, coursework in medical terminology and research design may also be required.
One unique requirement to Physical Therapy is a required number of volunteer or work hours (usually between 40 and 100) in the field of Physical Therapy and they may want a letter of recommendation from a Physical Therapist.
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is the required entrance exam.
Applicants applying to physical therapy programs will need to apply through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS).