Application Essay Tips
Our admissions office wants you to feel good about your final application essay. After reading thousands of essays each year here are some helpful hints.
- Relax. Your essay does not have to be Oscar worthy.
- Tell us about yourself, but avoid the words 'I am'.
- Be yourself.
- Choose a topic and writing style that work for you. A good essay doesn't have to make us laugh or cry.
- Proofread. (Are you getting the hint yet?)
- Find a neutral, timeless topic.. Avoid writing essays about political, religious, controversial topics. You never know who will be reading your essay and what views they may hold. Current events can be old news before your essay ever reaches an admission officer's desk.
- Write and then delete half. Concise writing is a thing of beauty.
Wooster's Office of Admissions hopes you've learned the most important aspect of writing a great essay… make sure it has been proofed and re-proofed.
Best of luck and happy writing.