Department/Affiliation: Communication, Film Studies, Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Office Address: 115 Wishart
- B.A., Marmara University 1998
- M.A., Ohio University 2001
- M.A., University of Northern Iowa 2003
- Ph.D., Southern Illinois University 2009
- COMM 111: Public Speaking
- COMM 130: Radio Workshop
- COMM 227: Intercultural Communication
- COMM 233: Mediated Gender, Race and Sexuality
- COMM 235: Media, Culture and Society
- COMM 311: Human Communication Theories
- COMM 332: Visual Communication and Culture
- COMM 350: Advanced Seminar in Communication Studies: Auto-ethnography and Identity
- First Year Seminar: British Media and Culture
Atay, A. (2011) "Soap Opera." In M. Zeiss Stange, C. K. Oyster, & J.G. Golson (Eds.),
The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today's World. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Atay, A. (2010) "Hybridity" In R. L. Jackson, R. C. Arnett, J. Bryant, J. H. Rolling, C.D. B. Walker, & M. Western (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Identity. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Atay, A. (2010). Touch of Pink: Diasporic Queer Experiences within Islamic Communities. S. Habib (Ed.) Islam and Homosexuality. Praeger Publication.
Atay, A. (2009). Facebooking Student-Teacher Relationship: How Facebook Is Changing Student-Teacher Relationships. Rocky Mountain Communication Review.
Cultural identity and globalization; diaspora and postcolonial studies; representation of gender, race, ethnicity and sexuality in visual culture.
Awards and Professional Memberships
Central States Communication Association
National Communication Association
Popular Culture Association / American Culture Association