Professor of Sociology
- B.A., California, Berkeley 1990
- M.A., California, Davis 1993
- Ph.D., California, Davis 1999
- SOCI 100: Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 342: Social Statistics
- SOAN 240: Research Methods
- SOCI 213: Deviance and Criminology
- First-Year Seminar
Awards and Professional Memberships
- George Gund Foundation Research Grant
- National Science Foundation Research Grant
- Ford Foundation Research Grant
- United States Department of Justice Research Grant
- American Sociological Association
- Editorial Board, Teaching Sociology 2007-2010
- Locked Up, Locked Out: Young Men in Juvenile Justice System (Vanderbilt University Press, 2010).
- Construction of the Offender in Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Training for Adults. Journal of Criminal Justice Education. 2017.
- Knowledge and Behavioral Impact of Adult Participation in Child Sexual Abuse Prevention: Evaluation of the Protecting God’s Children Program. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse. 2017.
- Social Inequality: Forms, Causes, and Consequences (9th Edition) (with Charles Hurst and Heather Fitz Gibbon). Routledge Press, 2016.
- Setting the Bar High: Danish Youth Education Counselors and National School-Completion Goals. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling. 2014.
- Juvenile Justice in Slovakia. In Winterdyk, J. (Ed.). International Perspectives on Juvenile Justice Systems, Trends, and Practices. Taylor and Francis Press, 2014. Co-author Dagmar Kusa.
- Juveniles and College: Inside Outside as a Way Forward. The Prison Journal. 2013.
- Locked Up, Locked Out:Young Men in the Juvenile Justice System. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.
- Fatherhood Arrested: Parenting from within the Juvenile Justice System. Nashville: Vanderbilt Press. 2002.
Professor Nurse's most recent research examines the efficacy and unintended consequences of child sexual abuse prevention programs. In the past, she studied juvenile prison and reentry, authoring Fatherhood Arrested: Parenting from Within the Juvenile Justice System(Vanderbilt Press, 2002) and Locked Up, Locked Out: Young Men in the Juvenile Justice System (Vanderbilt Press 2010). This year she and Heather Fitz Gibbon produced the 9th Edition of the textbook Social Inequality: Forms, Causes, and Consequences (Routledge Press, 2016). She teaches Introduction to Sociology, Criminology and Deviance (the “prison class”), and Social Statistics.