Denise M. Bostdorff
Professor - Department Chair
Office Address: 103 Wishart
- B.S., Bowling Green State University 1982
- M.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 1983
- Ph.D., Purdue University 1987
- IDPT 101: First Year Seminar
- IDPT 390: Leadership and Liberal Learning
- COMM 152: Public Speaking
- COMM 250: Principles of Rhetoric
- COMM 252: Argumentation
- COMM 254: Political Rhetoric
- COMM 352: Rhetorical Criticism
- COMM 401: Junior Independent Study
- COMM 451: Senior Independent Study
- COMM 452: Senior Independent Study
- Adel El-Adawy, "Obama's Airlift to Berlin: An Analysis of Barack Obama's 2008 Speech, 'A World That Stands as One,' and the German Media Response."
- Jonathan Freund, "Trading in Lives: The Use of Market Talk in the Health Care Debate."
- Kelly Wisniewski, "The Ultimate Escape Is Not Just Talk: A Rhetorical Analysis of Three Ecotourism Websites and Ethnography of an Actual Ecotour in the Turks and Caicos Islands."
- Lauren Camacci, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Gender: A Rhetorical Exploration of Variant Masculinities in the Harry Potter Series."
Awards and Professional Memberships
- W. Charles Redding Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. Purdue University. April 1994.
- School of Liberal Arts Departmental Award for Educational Excellence. $300. Purdue University. December 1994.
- Advisor of “Chapter of the Year” for Lambda Pi Eta, the national communication honor society. Awarded to The College of Wooster’s Lambda Chapter. $200 chapter award. National Communication Association. November 1997.
- Selected as Inaugural Partner in Communicating Common Ground (CCG) Service Learning Program Sponsored by the National Communication Association, the American Association for Higher Education, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and Campus Compact. August 2000.
- National Speakers Association’s Jeanne Robertson Outstanding Communication Professor Award. $2000. October 2000.
- Inclusion in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2003, 2004, 2005, on basis of unsolicited nominations by former students.
- Winner of the Bruce E. Gronbeck Political Communication Research Award. November 2010.
- National Communication Association
- Center for the Study of the Presidency
- Rhetoric Society of America
- The Presidency and the Rhetoric of Foreign Crisis
- Proclaiming the Truman Doctrine: The Cold War Call to Arms
- Over two dozen scholarly essays, primarily on presidential foreign policy rhetoric from Truman to Obama.