Donald T. Jacobs
Victor J. Andrew Professor of Physics, Emeritus
- B.A., University of South Florida 1971
- M.A., University of South Florida 1972
- Ph.D., University of Colorado, Boulder 1976
- General Physics
- Modern Physics
- Math Methods
- First Year Seminar
- Electronics for Scientists
- Thermal Physics
- Junior Independent Study
Recently Advised Senior Theses
- David Simpson, Analysis of the Correlation Length Amplitude of Nitrobenzene and Dodecane Binary-Fluid Solution, 2012
- Roger Klein, A Study of the Structure/Function Relationship of NicF in the Bordetella bronchiseptica Nicotinic Acid Degradation Pathway, 2011
- Alison Huff, Examining the Characteristics of 17R4 Using Refractive Indices and Dynamic Light Scattering, 2010
- Mary Elizabeth Mills, SOC and the effects of pseudo-randomly dropping beads onto a bead pile, 2009
- Mark Zimmerman, Percolative and conductive properties of spherical mixture, 2009
- Nathan Utt, Heat capacity anomaly in a nitrobenzene + dodecane mixture (co-advised with Susan Lehman), 2007
- Mark Lightfoot, Measuring the coexistence curve of 8-arm star polystyrene in methylcyclohexane, 2009
- Nithya Venkataraman, The correlation length in a branched polymer-solvent system near its critical point, 2004
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Recipient of the 2000 APS Prize to a Faculty Member for Research in an Undergraduate Institution Fellow of the American Physical Society, Division of Chemical Physics
Recent Publications Complete list with links
(*undergraduate student co-author)
- S. Y. Lehman, Elizabeth Baker*, Howard A. Henry*, Andrew J. Kindschuh*, Larry C. Markley*, Megan B. Browning*, Mary E. Mills*, R. Michael Winters IV*, D. T. Jacobs, "Avalanches on a conical bead pile: scaling with tuning parameters" Granular Matter 14, 553-561 (2012).
- Hosanna Odhner* and Donald Jacobs, "Refractive index of liquid D2O for visible wavelengths" Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data 57, p. 166 (2012).
- Alison Huff*, Kelly Patton*, Hosanna Odhner*, Donald T. Jacobs, Bryna C. CLover, Sandra C. Greer, "Micellization and Phase Separation for Triblock Copolymer 17R4 in H2O and in D2O," Langmuir 27(5) 1707-1712 (2011).
- Nathan J. Utt*, S.Y. Lehman, and D.T. Jacobs, “Heat capacity of the liquid-liquid mixture nitrobenzene and dodecane near the critical point”, J. Chem. Phys. 127, 104505 (2007).
- D.T. Jacobs, Clinton I. Braganza*, Andy P. Brinck*, Adam B. Cohen*, Mark A. Lightfoot*, Christopher J. Locke*, Sarah J. Suddendorf*, Henry R. Timmers*, Angela L. Triplett*, Nithya L. Venkataraman*, and Mark T. Wellons*, “Universality in 8-arm star polystyrene and methylcyclohexane mixtures near the critical point”, J. Chem. Phys. 127, 124905 (2007).
- Jeremy N. A. Matthews, Peter B. Yim, D. T. Jacobs, Necoise D. Peters, Jeffrey G. Forbes, and S. C. Greer, “The polymerization of actin”, J. Chem. Phys. 123, 074904 (2005).
- Amy Lytle* and D.T. Jacobs, “Turbidity determination of the critical exponent η in the liquid-liquid mixture methanol and cyclohexane”, J. Chem. Phys. 120, 5709-16 (2004).
- Rachel M. Costello*, K. L. Cruz*, Christie Egnatuk*, D.T. Jacobs, Matthew C. Krivos*, Tim Sir Louis*, Rebecca J. Urban*, and Hanna Wagner*, “Self-Organized Criticality in a Bead Pile”, Phys. Rev. E. 67, 41304-1->9 (2003).
- Clinton I. Braganza* and D.T. Jacobs, “Turbidity of the Liquid-Liquid Mixture Perfluoroheptane and 2,2,4-Trimethylpentane Near the Critical Point” J. Chem. Phys. 117, 9876-9879 (2002).
- A. Christine Rauch*, Shila Garg, and D.T. Jacobs, “Phase transitions in a nematic binary mixture” J. Chem. Phys. 116, 2213-2218 (2002).
- Krishna Pendyala, S.C. Greer, and D.T. Jacobs, “Poly(α-methylstyrene) in methylcyclohexane: densities and viscosities near the liquid-liquid critical point” J. Chem. Phys. 115, 9995-10000 (2001).
- A.W. Nowicki*, Madhujit Ghosh*, S.M. McClellan*, and D.T. Jacobs, “Heat Capacity and Turbidity Near the Critical Point of Succinonitrile-Water” J. Chem. Phys. 114, 4625-4633 (2001).
- Krishna Pendyala, Xiangyun Gu, Kevin P. Andrews, Karen Gruner, D.T. Jacobs, and S.C. Greer, “Living Poly(α-methylstyrene) near the polymerization line: VIII. mass density, viscosity, and surface tension in tetrahydrofuran” J. Chem. Phys. 114, 4312-4322 (2001).
- E.R. Oby* and D.T. Jacobs , “Heat Capacity of the Liquid-Liquid Mixture Perfluoroheptane and 2,2,4-Trimethylpentane Near the Critical Point” J. Chem. Phys. 114, 4918-4921 (2001).