Professor; Mildred Foss Thompson Professor of English Language and Literature (on leave 2016-17)
Department/Affiliation: English, Film Studies, Comparative Literature
Office Address: 221 Kauke
- B.A. - Carleton
- M.A. - Wisconsin
- Ph.D. - Wisconsin
- ENGL 120: ILCS: Modern Selves
- ENGL 220 William Faulkner
- ENGL 230 Tradition/Countertradition in 19th Century American Literature
- ENGL 240 Narrative and the Real World
- ENGL 240 American Film
- ENGL 401 Perspectives and Methods in Independent Study
- First Year Seminar: Art to Art, Text to Text: Rewriting Literature on Film (current topic)
- Executive Co-Editor, Philip Roth Studies
- Philip Roth: American Pastoral, The Human Stain, The Plot Against America. (Editor) London: Continuum, 2011.
- Philip Roth—Countertexts, Counterlives. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2004.
- "Prosthetic Fictions: Reading Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close through Philip Roth's The Plot Against America." American Writing After 9/11. Ed. Catherine Morley. Bloomsbury Academic. Series: Themes in Contemporary North American Fiction. Forthcoming 2015.
- "Philip Roth and Life as a Man." The Political Companion to Philip Roth. Eds. Claudia-Franziska Bruehwiler and Lee Trepanier. University Press of Kentucky. Series: The Political Companions to Great American Authors. Forthcoming 2015.
- "Marginal Writers; or, Jews Who Aren't." Edinburgh Companion to Modern Anglophone Jewish Fiction, ed. David Brauner and Axel Stähler. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. Forthcoming 2015.
- "Philip Roth's Graveyards, Narrative Desire, and 'Professional competition with death.'" Special issue on Philip Roth, ed. Gustavo Sanchez Canales and Victoria Aarons, CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture 16.2. June 2014.
- "Lateness, Timeliness, and Elegy: Philip Roth's Dying Animal on Film." Genre47.1 (Spring 2014): 79-102.
- "American Pastoral's Ghost Writer: Anne Frank in Old Rimrock." Cercles: Revue pluridisciplinaire du monde Anglophone 33 (2014). Online at www.cercles.com
- "Pennies from Heaven from BBC to MGM: Adaptation and the Anti-Musical." Journal of Adaptation in Film and Video 6.1 (May 2013): 65-80.
- "'Impossible Narrative Voices': Sofia Coppola's Adaptation of Jeffrey Eugenides's The Virgin Suicides." ILS: Interdisciplinary Literary Studies 15.2 (2013): 179-201.
- "Late Style in the Later Novels." Critical Insights: Philip Roth. Ed. Aimee Pozorski. Pasadena: Salem Press, 2013. 164-84.
- "Philip Roth," Cambridge Companion to American Novelists, ed. Timothy Parrish. Cambridge University Press, 2013. 280-89.
- "'Into Thin Air': Roth and Celebrity Selfhood." Philip Roth and Celebrity. Ed. Aimee Pozorski. Lexington Books, 2012. 85-100.
- "The 'very sudden thing': Narration and the Fall into History." Reading Philip Roth's American Pastoral, ed. Velichka Ivanova. Toulouse, France: Presses Universitaires du Mirail. 2011. 165-78.
- "Biography: John Updike." Critical Insights: John Updike. Ed. Bernard F. Rodgers, Jr. Pasadena: Salem Press, 2011. 18-25.
- " 'A story we could live with': Narrative Voice, the Reader, and Jeffrey Eugenides's The Virgin Suicides," Modern Fiction Studies 55.4 (Winter 2009): 808-32.
- "In the Country of Missing Persons: Paul Auster's Narratives of Trauma," Studies in the Novel 41.1 (Spring 2009): 66-87.
- "Dancing in Hollywood's Blue Box: Genre and Screen Memories in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive," Post Script 28.1 (Fall 2008): 11-29.
- " 'Theory uncompromised by practicality': Hybridity in Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex," Contemporary Literature 49.3 (Fall 2008): 383-412.
- "Under the Sign of Moon Palace: Paul Auster and the Body in the Text," Critique: Studies in Contemporary Fiction 49.2 (Winter 2008): 149-68.
- "Roth and Gender." The Cambridge Companion to Philip Roth. Ed. Timothy Parrish. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 111-126.
Shostak specializes in 20th and 21st century American fiction and film.