Gregory C. Wiles
Professor of Geology; Ross K. Shoolroy Chair of Natural Resources (on leave 2017-2018)
- B.A., Beloit College 1984
- M.S., SUNY-Binghamton 1988
- Ph.D., University at Buffalo 1992
- GEOL 110: Environmental Geology
- GEOL 210: Climate Change
- Gemorphology and Environmental Hydrogeology
- Caitlin Fetters (2009): "Tree-Ring Dated Little Ice Age History and Tlingit Legends During the Early 18th Century in Glacier Bay, Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, Alaska"
- Eva Lyon (2007): “Progress towards the development of a multi-millennial tree-ring chronology, Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, Alaska”
- Nathan Malcomb (2007): “Using tree-ring time series from the Gulf of Alaska to model mass balance from the Northeast Pacific Rim”
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Adjunct Associate Research Scientist Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory 1996-present
Contributing author to Chapter 6 (Paleoclimate) of the Working Group I, IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, 2007.
- Member of the U.S. National Academies of Science – U.S. National Committee for the International Union for Quaternary Research (2008 to present).
- Member of the Geological Society of America, American Geophysical Union, American Quaternary Association, and the Tree Ring Society
- Associate Editor, Tree Ring Research (2002-present)
- Wiles, G.C., D'Arrigo, R.D., Barclay, D., Wilson, Jarvis*, S. K., Vargo*, L., Frank, D., 2014, Surface air temperature variability for the Gulf of Alaska over the past 1200 years: The Holocene, DOI: 10.1177/0959683613516815.
- Wiles, G.C., Solomina, O., D'Arrigo, R.D., Anchukaitis , K., Gensiarovsky, Y. and Wiesenberg, N., 2014, Reconstructed Summer Temperatures over the Last 400 Years Based on Larch Ring Widths: Sakhalin Island, Russian Far East: Climate Dynamics, DOI:10.1007/s00382-014-2209-2.
- D'Arrigo R, Davi N, Jacoby G, Wilson R, Wiles G. 2014, Dendroclimatic Studies: Tree Growth and Climate Change in Northern Forests. AGU Monograph (Book), Wiley, ISBN: 978-1-118-84872-2.
- Rakovan, M , Rech, J., Nekola, J., Pigati, J., and Wiles, G., 2013, An evaluation of Mesodonand other larger terrestrial gastropod shells for dating late Holocene and historic alluvium in the Midwestern, USA: Geomorphology, p. 47-56.
- Jarvis*, S. K., Wiles, G.C., Appleton*, S.N., D'Arrigo, R.D. and Lawson, D.E., 2013, A warming-induced biome shift detected in tree growth of Mountain Hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana (Bong.) Carrière) along the Gulf of Alaska. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 45, DOI 10.1657/1938-4246-45.2.
- Malcomb*, N.L. and Wiles, G.C., 2013, Tree-ring based reconstructions of North American glacier mass balance through the Little Ice Age. Quaternary Research, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.yqres.2012.11.005.
Problem-solving and experiential learning through field and lab studies.
Dr. Wiles' primary research interests are glacial geology, climate change and tree-ring analysis. Recently published an article on North Pacific Glacier Changes in Geophysical Research Letters.