Gregory C. Wiles
Professor of Geology; Ross K. Shoolroy Chair of Natural Resources - Department Chair
- B.A., Beloit College 1984
- M.S., SUNY-Binghamton 1988
- Ph.D., University at Buffalo 1992
- GEOL 110: Environmental Geology
- GEOL 210: Climate Change
- Gemorphology and Environmental Hydrogeology
- Caitlin Fetters (2009): "Tree-Ring Dated Little Ice Age History and Tlingit Legends During the Early 18th Century in Glacier Bay, Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, Alaska"
- Eva Lyon (2007): “Progress towards the development of a multi-millennial tree-ring chronology, Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, Alaska”
- Nathan Malcomb (2007): “Using tree-ring time series from the Gulf of Alaska to model mass balance from the Northeast Pacific Rim”
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Adjunct Associate Research Scientist Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory 1996-present
Contributing author to Chapter 6 (Paleoclimate) of the Working Group I, IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, 2007.
- Member of the U.S. National Academies of Science – U.S. National Committee for the International Union for Quaternary Research (2008 to present).
- Member of the Geological Society of America, American Geophysical Union, American Quaternary Association, and the Tree Ring Society
- Associate Editor, Tree Ring Research (2002-present)
- Wiles, G.C., Krawiec*, A.C., and D’Arrigo, R.D., 2009, A 265-Year Reconstruction of Lake Erie Water Levels Based on North Pacific Tree Rings: Geophysical Research Letters, doi: 2008gl037164.
- Barclay, D.J., Wiles, G.C. and Calkin, P.E., 2009, Holocene glacier fluctuations in Alaska: Quaternary Sciences Review, doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2009.01.016.
- Barclay, D.J., Wiles, G.C. and Calkin, P.E., 2009, Tree-ring cross-dates for a first millennium AD advance of Tebenk of Glacier, southern, Alaska: Quaternary Research, 71: 22-26, doi:10.1016/j.yqres.2008.09.005.
- Wiles, G.C., Barclay, D.J., Calkin, P.E., and Lowell, T.V., 2008, Century to Millennial-Scale Temperature Variations for the Last Two Thousand Years Inferred from Glacial Geologic Records of Southern Alaska: Global and Planetary Change, 57, doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2006.07.036
- Lutz*, B., Wiles, G.C., Lowell, T.V., and Michaels*, J., 2007, The 8200 abrupt climate change in Brown’s Lake, Northeast Ohio: Quaternary Research. 67, 292-296, doi:10.1016/j.yqres.2006.08.007
- Moore*, T., Malcomb*, N. and Wiles, G.C., 2007, Climate response of Dahurian Larch in Secrest Arboretum, Wooster, Ohio, USA: Tree Ring Research, v 63(2), p. 111-115.
- Wilson, R., Wiles, G., D’Arrigo, R. and Zweck, C.. 2007, Cycles and shifts: 1300-years of multidecadal temperature variability in the Gulf of Alaska: Climate Dynamics, 28: 425-440, DOI 10.1007/s00382-006-0194-9.
- Solomina, O., Wiles, G.C., Shiraiwa, T., and D’Arrigo, R., 2006, Multiproxy records of climate variability for Kamchatka for the past 400 years: Climate of the Past, 2, 1051-1073, SRef-ID: 1814-9359/cpd/2006-2-1051
- Reyes, A.V., Wiles, G.C. Smith, D.J., Barclay, D.J., Allen, S., Jackson, S., Larocque, S., Laxton, S., Lewis, D. Calkin, P.E. and Clague, J.J., 2006, Expansion of alpine glaciers in Pacific North America in the first millennium AD: Geology, v. 34, p. 57-60, doi:10.1130/G21902.1.
- D’Arrigo, R.D., Wilson, R.J., Deser, C., Wiles, G., Cook, E.R., Villalba, R., Tudhope, A., Cole, J., and Linsley, B., 2005, Tropical-North Pacific climate linkages over the past four centuries: Journal of Climate, v. 18, pp. 5253-5265, doi:10.1175/JCLI3602.1.
- Driscoll*, W., Wiles G.C., D’Arrigo, R.D., and Wilmking, M., 2005, Divergent tree growth response to recent climatic warming, Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, Alaska: Geophysical Research Letters, v. 32, L20703, doi:10.1029/2005GL024258.
- Wiles, G.C., D'Arrigo, R.D., Villalba, R., Calkin, P.E. and Barclay, D.J., 2004, Century-scale solar variability and Alaskan temperature change over the past millennium: Geophysical Research Letters, v.31, L15203, doi:10.1029/200GL020050.
Problem-solving and experiential learning through field and lab studies.
Dr. Wiles' primary research interests are glacial geology, climate change and tree-ring analysis. Recently published an article on North Pacific Glacier Changes in Geophysical Research Letters.