John Levi Barnard
Office Address: 216 Kauke
- B.A., Yale University
- M.A., Johns Hopkins University
- Ph.D., Boston University
- Empire of Ruin: Black Classicism and American Imperial Culture, forthcoming from Oxford University Press.
Essays & Articles
- “The Cod and the Whale: Melville in the Time of Extinction,” forthcoming in American Literature.
- “Empire of Slavery: Europe, Mexico, and the African American 1848,” forthcoming in African American Literature in Transition, Volume 4: 1830-1850, ed. Benjamin Fagan (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
- “Ruins amidst Ruins: Black Classicism and the Empire of Slavery,” American Literature 86.2 (June 2014).
- “Ancient History, American Time: Chesnutt’s Outsider Classicism and the Present Past,” PMLA 129.1 (January 2014). William Riley Parker Prize, Honorable Mention.
Teaching and Research Interests
- American Literature
- African American Literature
- Oceans in History and Literature
- Environmental Humanities