Visiting Assistant Professor
Department/Affiliation: Religious Studies, Classical Studies
Office Address: 101 Kauke
- B.A., University of Georgia 1996
- Post-Bac/M.A., San Francisco State University 2005
- M.A., Ph.D., Brown University 2012
- RELS 120: Introduction to Biblical Studies
- RELS 225: The Life and Teachings of Jesus
- RELS 239: Global Christianity
- RELS 267: Conceptions of Life After Death in Western Cultures
- RELS 269: Gender and Sexuality in Ancient Christianity
- Pembroke Graduate Fellowship 2010-2011, declined
- Brown University Dissertation Fellowship, 2009-2010
- Brown University Graduate Fellowship 2005-2006
- San Francisco State University Richard Trapp Graduate Fellowship 2004-2005
- California State/University of California Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Fellowship 2003-2004
- Society of Biblical Literature
- American Academy of Religion
- North American Association for the Study of Religion
- American Philological Association
- North American Patristics Society
- "Translating Women: The Perils of Gender-Inclusive Translation of the New Testament," with Ross Kraemer, in Celebrate Her for the Fruit of Her Hands: Studies in Honor of Carol L. Meyers. Charles Carter ed. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2012.
- "Why Thekla Does Not See Paul: Visual Perception and the Displacement of Eros in the Acts of Paul and Thekla." Proceedings from the International Conference on the Ancient Novel (Supplement to Ancient Narrative). Judith Perkins and Marilia Futre Pinheiro, eds. 2012.
- "Plautus, The Braggart Soldier," in Classical Literature and Its Times. Joyce Moss, ed. Los Angeles: Moss Publishing, 2006.
Areas of Interest
- Ancient Christianity
- Ancient Mediterranean Religions
- Gender and Sexuality in Antiquity
- Apocryphal Acts and the Greek Novels
- Late Hellenistic Philosophy
- Translation Theory
- Cognitive Science of Religion
Eyl comes to Wooster from the New York area, where she taught at Rutgers University and Barnard College.