Assistant Professor (on leave Fall 2015)
Department/Affiliation: English, Comparative Literature
Office Address: 218 Kauke
- PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison 2011
- 110 College Writing
- English 120: Writing in the Age of Terror: Transnational Literature of the Middle East & North Africa
- English 160: Memoirs & Middle East
- English 210: Unlearning Africa: Diasporas, Neocolonialisms & Neoliberalisms
- English 230: Heartbreak and Masculinity in Global Anglophone Literatures
- "Resisting the Temptation to Give Up: James Baldwin, Robert Adams and the Disavowal of The American Way of Life," "Special Issue on James Baldwin, "African American Review 46.4 (Winter 2013).
- Reader's Guide and Teacher's Guide for Dinaw Mengestu's The Beautiful Things that Heaven Bears for The National Endowment for the Arts "Big Read." (2014).
- "After the Revolution to the War on Terror: Iranian Jewish Literature in the United States, 1979-present," Studies in American Jewish Literature 36.1 (Spring 2016).
- "The Hoodie and the Hijab: Arabness, Blackness and the Figure of Terror,"The Los Angeles Review of Books.
Teaching and Research Interests
- African American Literature
- Middle Eastern & South Asian American Literature
- Ethnic/Postcolonical Studies
Leah Mirakhor is working on a monograph on American empire and the figure of terror from the Cold War to the War on Terror.