Visiting Assistant Professor
Department/Affiliation: Environmental Studies, Sociology and Anthropology
Office Address: 011 Kauke
- B.A., College of Wooster (Anthropology) 1998
- M.S., University of Wisconsin- Madison (Environmental Studies) 2004
- Ph.D., Ohio State University (Rural Sociology) 2009
- ENVS 110: Science, Society, and Environment
- ENVS 205: Entrepreneurship and the Environment
- ENVS 230: Innovations in Agroecology
- Sociology of Agriculture
- First Year Seminar: Questioning Progress
Awards and Professional Memberships
- National Science Foundation GK-12 STEM Graduate Teaching Fellowship The Ohio State University, 2007-2009
- University Fellowship The Ohio State University, 2005-2006
- Doris Duke Conservation Fellowship
- Miller, Melanie and Matthew J. Mariola. 2009. "The Discontinuance of Environmental Technologies in the Humid Tropics of Costa Rica: Results from a Qualitative Survey." Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education 16(1): 31-42.
- Mariola, Matthew J. 2008. "The local industrial complex? Questioning the link between local foods and energy use." Agriculture & Human Values 25 (2): 193-196.
- Miller, Melanie J., Matthew J. Mariola, and David O. Hansen. 2008. "EARTH to farmers: Extension and the adoption of environmental technologies in the humid tropics of Costa Rica." Ecological Engineering 34(4): 349-357.
- Powell, J.M., D.B. Jackson-Smith, D.F. McCrory, H. Saam, and M. Mariola. 2007. "Nutrient Management Behavior on Wisconsin Dairy Farms." Agronomy Journal 99:211-219.
- Powell, J.M., D.B. Jackson-Smith, D.F. McCrory, H. Saam, and M. Mariola. 2006. "Validation of Feed and Manure Management Data Collected on Wisconsin Dairy Farms." Journal of Dairy Science 89:2268-2278.
- Mariola, Matthew J. 2005. "Losing Ground: Farmland Preservation, Economic Utilitarianism, and the Erosion of the Agrarian Ideal." Agriculture and Human Values 22(2):209-223.