Associate Professor (on leave 2016-2017)
- B.S., Marshall University 2001
- Ph.D., Duke University 2007
- GEOL 105: Geology of Natural Hazards
- GEOL 208: Mineralogy
- GEOL 308: Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- GEOL 350: Special Topics in Geochemistry
- FYS – Collapse of Civilization: Human Error or Natural Catastrophe?
- FYS – Nature Walks
Selected I.S. Projects
- Alex Hiatt (2014): "Volatile contents of basaltic glasses from subglacial pillow lavas, Iceland"
- Whitney Sims (2013): "Distribution of Lava Flows, Miter Cinder Cone, Ice Springs Volcanic Field, Black Rock Desert, Utah"
- Lindsey Bowman (2012): "Geochemical and Field Relationships of Pillow and Dike Units in a Subglacial Pillow Ridge, Undirhlithar Quarry, Southwest Iceland"
- Becky Alcorn (2011): "A Three-Dimensional Investigation of Subglacial Pillows, Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland"
- Ali Drushal (2009): "The Formation of the Hjallin Lens: A Quantitative Study of Igneous Rock Textures through Crystal Size Distribution (CSD) and Conductive Cooling Models, Vatnsdalur, Iceland"
- Pollock, M., B.R. Edwards, S. Hauksdóttir, *R. Alcorn, *L. Bowman, (2014). Geochemical and lithostratigraphic constraints on the formation of pillow-dominated tindars from Undirhlíðar quarry, Reykjanes Peninsula, Southwest Iceland, Lithos, 200-201, 317-333, doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2014.04.023.
- Judge, S., M. Pollock, G. Wiles, and M. Wilson, (2012). Mentored undergraduate research in the geosciences, Eos Trans. AGU, 93(36), 345-346, doi:10.1029/2012EO360001.
- Pollock, M., (2011). Role of technology in undergraduate research in the geosciences: a rapidly changing landscape, On The Cutting Edge – Undergraduate Research as a Teaching Practice.
- Srogi, L., T. Lutz, L.D. Dickson, M. Pollock, K. Gimson, and N. Lynde, (2010). Magmatic layering and intrusive plumbing in the Jurassic Morgantown Sheet, Central Atlantic Magmatic Province, in Fleeger, G.M., and Whitmeyer, S.J., eds., The Mid-Atlantic Shore to the Appalachian Highlands: Field Trip Guidebook for the 2010 Joint Meeting of the Northeastern and Southeastern GSA Sections: Geological Society of America Field Guide 16, doi:10.1130/2010.0016(04).
- Pollock, M.A., E.M. Klein, J.A. Karson, and D.S. Coleman, (2009). Compositions of dikes and lavas from the Pito Deep Rift: Implications for crustal accretion at superfast spreading centers, Journal of Geophysical Research, 114, B03207, doi:10.1029/2007JB5436.
- Heft, K.L., K.M. Gillis, M.A. Pollock, J.A. Karson, E.M. Klein, (2008). Role of upwelling hydrothermal fluids in the development of alteration patterns at fast spreading ridges: Evidence from the sheeted dike complex at Pito Deep, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 9, 5, doi:10.1029/2007GC001926.
- Pollock, M.A., E.M. Klein, J.A. Karson, and M.A. Tivey, (2005). Temporal and spatial variability in the composition of lavas exposed along the Western Blanco Transform Fault, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 11, 6, doi:10.1029/2005GC001026.
Dr. Pollock joined the Geology faculty in 2008, her interests include mid-ocean ridges, igneous geochemistry/petrology/mineralogy, solid earth processes, geoscience education.