Melissa M. Schultz
Department/Affiliation: Chemistry, Environmental Studies
Office Address: 203 Severance
- B.S. Creighton University, Chemistry 1999
- Ph.D. Oregon State University, Analytical Chemistry 2004
- NRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, U.S. Geological Survey, National Water Quality Laboratory 2004-06
Area of Research
Fate, transport, and effects of pharmaceuticals and personal care products in the environment.
- CHEM 101: Chemistry and the World in Which We Live
- CHEM 110: Introductory Chemistry
- CHEM 120: Principles of Chemistry
- CHEM 215: Analytical Chemistry
- CHEM 216: Environmental Chemistry
- CHEM 316: Instrumental Analysis
- CHEM 401: Introduction to Independent Study
- ENVS 200: Environmental Analysis and Action
- IDPT 101: First-Year Seminar in Critical Inquiry
- Sureni Beckford (BCMB); Synergistic Effects of Triclosan and Triclocarban on the Physiology and Behavior of Fathead Minnows (Pimephales promelas); co-advised with Sharon Lynn (Biology)
- Nita Chavez; Effexor Concentrations in Bluegill Sunfish Liver, Brain, Muscle, and Plasma Samples
- Madigan Murphy; The Degradation of Sertraline, Venlafaxine, and Triclocarban in Treated Aerobic Sludge
External Grants Awarded
- National Science Foundation (2013-2015); "RUI: Influence of Wastewater Treatment on Fate, Transport, and Bioaccumulation of Antidepressant Pharmaceuticals in Terrestrial Environments"
- Research Corporation for Science Advancement: Multi-Investigator Cottrell College Science Award Program (2012-2014); "Bacterial Degradation of Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products During Waste Water Treatment" with Stephanie Strand (Biology) and Melissa Schultz (Chemistry)
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (2009-2012); "A Comprehensive Assessment of the Potential for Endocrine Disruptors to Impact the Reproductive Potential of Fish Populations in the Chicago Area Waterways" with Heiko Schoenfuss (St. Cloud State University) and Dalma Martinovic-Weigelt (St.Thomas University)
- National Science Foundation (2008-2011); "Acquisition of an LC/MS/MS to Enhance Undergraduate Research and Teaching" with Melissa Schultz and Paul Edmiston (Chemistry)
- Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grant (2007), "Acquisition of an Atomic Absorption Spectrometer to Enhance our Present Chemistry Curriculum" with Paul Edmiston (Chemistry)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Member (SETAC)
- Schultz, Melissa M.; Bartell, Stephen E.; Schoenfuss, Heiko L.; Effects of triclosan and triclocarban, two ubiquitous environmental contaminants, on anatomy, physiology and behavior of the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 2012, 63, 114-124.
- Schultz, Melissa M.; Painter, Meghan M.; Bartell, Stephen E.; Logue, Amanda*; Furlong, Edward T.; Werner, Stephen L.; Schoenfuss, Heiko L.; Selective uptake and biological consequences of environmentally-relevant antidepressant pharmaceutical exposures on adult male fathead minnows. Aquatic Toxicology, 2011, 104, 38-47.
- Klein, Dustin R.; Flannelly, David F.; Schultz, Melissa M.; Quantitative determination of triclocarban in wastewater effluent by stir bar sorptive extraction and liquid desorption-liquid chromatography- tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A, 2010, 1217, 1742-1747.
- Schultz, Melissa M.; furlong, Edward T.; Kolpin, Dana W.; Werner, Stephen L.; Schoenfuss, Heiko L.; Barber, Larry B.; Blazer, Vicki; Norris, David O.; Vajda, Alan M.; Antidepressant pharmaceuticals in two U.S. effluent-impacted streams: Occurrence and fate in water and sediment and selective uptake in fish neural tissues. Environmental Science and Technology, 2010, 44, 1918-1925.
- Painter, Megan M.; Buerkley, Megan A.; Julius, Matthew L.; Vajda, Alan M.; Norris, David O.; Barber, Larry B.; Furlong, Edward T.; Schultz, Melissa M.; Schoenfuss, Heiko L.; Antidepressants at environmentally relevant concentrations affect predator avoidance behavior on larval fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry -Pharmaceuticals in the Aquatic Environment special issue, 2009, 28, 2677-2684.
- Schultz, Melissa M. and Furlong, Edward T.; Trace analysis of antidepressant pharmaceuticals and their select degradates in environmental aquatic matrices by LC/ESI/MS/MS. Analytical Chemistry, 2008, 80, 1756-1762.
- Schultz, Melissa M.; Higgins, Christopher P.; Huset, Carin A.; Luthy, Richard G.; Barofsky, Douglas F.; Field, Jennifer. Mass balance study of fluorochemicals during wastewater treatment. Environmental Science & Technology Emerging Contaminants special issue, 2006, 40, 7350-7357.
- Schultz, Melissa M.; Barofsky, Douglas F.; Field, Jennifer, A. Quantitative determination of fluorinated alkyl substances by large-volume-injection LC /MS/MS-characterization of municipal wastewaters. Environmental Science & Technology, 2006, 40, 289-295.
- Schultz, Melissa M.; Barofsky, Douglas F.; Field, Jennifer, A. Quantitative determination of fluorotelomer sulfonates in groundwater by LC MS/MS. Environmental Science & Technology, 2004, 38, 1828-1835.
- Field, Jennifer A.; Schultz, Melissa M.; Barofsky, Douglas F. Identifying hydrocarbons and fluorocarbons surfactants in specialty chemical formulations of environmental interest by fast atom bombardment/mass spectrometry. Chimia, 2003, 57, 556-560.
- Schultz, Melissa M.; Barofsky, Douglas F.; Field, Jennifer A. Fluorinated alkyl surfactants. Environmental Engineering Science, 2003, 20, 487-501.
- Field, Jennifer A.; Schultz, Melissa M.; Barofsky, Douglas F. Fluorinated alkyl surfactants in groundwater and wastewater. Chimia, 2003, 57, 22-24.