Nicholas N. Shaw
Visiting Assistant Professor
Office Address: 104 Severance
- B.A., Chemistry, St. Olaf College, 2002
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, Clemson University, 2010
Area of Research
- Design and synthesis of therapeutic compounds
- The form and function of nucleic acids
- Targeting DNA:RNA hybrid structures
- Teaching chemistry at the undergraduate level
- Chemistry 110: Introductory Chemistry
- Chemistry 120: Principles of Chemistry
- Chemistry 211: Organic Chemistry I
- Chemistry 212: Organic Chemistry II
Awards & Professional Memberships
- American Chemical Society
- “Aminoglycoside Binding to A-form DNA.” Xi, Hongjuan; Shaw, Nicholas N.; Skriba, Michael; Arya, Dev P. Manuscript in preparation.
- "Molecular Recognition of a DNA:RNA Hybrid: Sub-nanomolar Binding by a Neomycin-Methidium Conjugate." Shaw, Nicholas N.; Xi, Hongjuan.; Arya, Dev P. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2008, 18(14), 4142-4145.
- "Recognition of the Unique Structure of DNA:RNA Hybrids." Shaw, Nicholas N.; Arya, Dev P. Biochimie 2008, 90(7), 1026-1039.
- “Novel Targets for Aminoglycosides.” In Aminoglycoside Antibiotics: From Chemical Biology to Drug Discovery. Ed. Arya, Dev P. New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons, 2007. 289-314.
- “Neomycin improves cationic lipid-mediated transfection of DNA in human cells”. Napoli, S.; Carbone, G.M.; Catapano, C.; Shaw, N.; Arya, D.P.; Bioorg. Med.Chem.Lett. 2005, 15, 3467–3469.