Department/Affiliation: Sociology and Anthropology
Office Address: 014 Kauke Hall
- B.A., Maryland 1974
- M.A., Virginia 1979
- Ph.D., Virginia 1982
- ANTH 230: Magic, Witchcraft and Religion
- ANTH 231: Peoples & Cultures: Latin America
- ANTH 407: Internship
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Fellow, American Anthropological Association
- Central States Anthropological Society
- Society for Feminist Anthropology
- American Ethnological Society
- Society for Humanistic Anthropology
- Review of "Anthropological Intelligence: The Deployment and Neglect of American Anthropology in the Second World War. by David H. Price. Durham and London: Duke University Press. July, 2009. Journal of Military History.
- "Guardians of the Golden Age: Custodians of American Military Culture and the Fortified 'Home' in Time and Space." In Home Cultures. Volume 5, Issue 1. March. Pp 11-28, 2008.
- With Margaret Harrell (eds.) Anthropology and the U.S. Military: Coming of Age in the Twenty-first Century. New York and England: Palgrave Macmillan. Pp. 147-152, 2003.
- (ed.) Celebration of Identity: Multiple Voices in American Ritual Performance. (Foreword by Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney), New York, Connecticut, London: Bergin & Garvey, 1993.
- With John M. Coggeshall (eds.) Transcending Boundaries: Multi-Disciplinary Approaches to the Study of Gender. New York: Bergin & Garvey, 1991.
She has done extensive research on the wives of retired military officers and gated retirement communities. She is also widely known for her expertise on anthropology of religion, Anglo-American life cycle rituals and American civil religious holidays.
- Widely quoted by a number of national media outlets, including USA Today and The Los Angeles Times.
- Faculty member since 1986.
- Selected to serve on the Anthropology and Archaeology Peer Review Committee for the Fulbright Senior Specialists Program (CIES)
- Content Consultant Chinese New Year, Ramadan, Christmas, and Cinco de Mayo in the Cultural Holidays Series. Edna Minnesota: Magic Wagon a division of ABDO Consulting Group, Inc.
- Has appeared on CNN and multiple radio shows