Department/Affiliation: Sociology and Anthropology
Office Address: 014 Kauke Hall
- B.A., Maryland 1974
- M.A., Virginia 1979
- Ph.D., Virginia 1982
- ANTH 230: Magic, Witchcraft and Religion
- ANTH 231: Peoples & Cultures: Latin America
- ANTH 407: Internship
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Fellow, American Anthropological Association
- Central States Anthropological Society
- Society for Feminist Anthropology
- American Ethnological Society
- Society for Humanistic Anthropology
- Review of "Anthropological Intelligence: The Deployment and Neglect of American Anthropology in the Second World War. by David H. Price. Durham and London: Duke University Press. July, 2009. Journal of Military History.
- "Guardians of the Golden Age: Custodians of American Military Culture and the Fortified 'Home' in Time and Space." In Home Cultures. Volume 5, Issue 1. March. Pp 11-28, 2008.
- With Margaret Harrell (eds.) Anthropology and the U.S. Military: Coming of Age in the Twenty-first Century. New York and England: Palgrave Macmillan. Pp. 147-152, 2003.
- (ed.) Celebration of Identity: Multiple Voices in American Ritual Performance. (Foreword by Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney), New York, Connecticut, London: Bergin & Garvey, 1993.
- With John M. Coggeshall (eds.) Transcending Boundaries: Multi-Disciplinary Approaches to the Study of Gender. New York: Bergin & Garvey, 1991.
She is widely known for her expertise on Anglo-American life cycle rituals and American civil religious holidays and traditions. She has also completed extensive research on the wives of retired military officers and gated retirement communities, museums, and tourism. Her teaching covers such topics as religion and symbolic anthropology, contemporary American societies and cultures, food and culture, linguistic anthropology, ethnographic research methods, and gender studies.
- Widely quoted by a number of national media outlets, including USA Today and The Los Angeles Times.
- Faculty member since 1986.
- Selected to serve on the Anthropology and Archaeology Peer Review Committee for the Fulbright Senior Specialists Program (CIES)
- Content Consultant Chinese New Year, Ramadan, Christmas, and Cinco de Mayo in the Cultural Holidays Series. Edna Minnesota: Magic Wagon a division of ABDO Consulting Group, Inc.
- Has appeared on CNN and multiple radio shows