Pamela B. Pierce
Office Address: 314 Taylor
- B.A., Amherst College 1985
- M.Ed., University of Massachusetts 1986
- M.S., Syracuse University 1988
- Ph.D., Syracuse University 1994
Courses Taught at Wooster
- Transition to Advanced Mathematics
- Real Analysis I and II
- Calculus with Algebra A
- Calculus for Social Sciences
- Calculus and Analytic Geometry II
- Discrete Mathematics
- Combinatorics and Graph Theory
- Complex Analysis
- Linear Algebra
- Problem Seminar
- First Year Seminar
Recent Senior Theses Advised
- Math Rules Everything Around Me: An Examination of Fractals and their Real World Applications (Dana Faust, 2017)
- Calculating the Course: The Impact of Mathematical Research on the Undergraduate Mathematics Curriculum (Marjorie Zeager, Math and History, 2017)
- On Rationality and Morality: Three Kinds of Approaches (Emily Howerton, Math and Philosophy, 2017)
- Logicism and the Continuum Hypothesis (Thomas Ames, Math and Philosophy, 2016)
- The Ineffability of "Nothing" (Melissa Griffith, Math and Philosophy, 2016)
- To Blend or Not to Blend: Understanding the Impact of Technology in Mathematics Education (Jacob Solomon, 2016)
- The Golden Ratio (Emily Williams, 2013)
- My Ticket to Becoming an Athletic Director: An Analysis of the Graph Theory Behind Sports Scheduling, 2013)
- Topical Web Crawlers (Evan Radkoff, Math and CS, 2012)
- Elements of understanding: mathematics, literature, and Nicolas Bourbaki (Daniel Pierce, Math and French, 2012)
- An Exploration of Topical Geometry (Rachel Frank, Math and Studio Art, 2012)
- Parity-based Measurement and Control of the Spatial Wave Function of Photons (Mohammad Saif Ahmad, Math and Physics, 2012)
- Going Inside the Rubik's Cube (Kaleb Reed, 2011)
- Flow Experiences in Experiential Mathematics (Rebecca Ross, 2010)
- A Study of the Calculus of Variations with a Focus on Geodesics (Jeffrey A. Willert, 2009)
- Topics in Computational Geometry: Steiner's Problem and the Voronoi Diagram (Daniel C. Weaver, 2007)
- Using Ethnomathematics as a Multicultural Technique in the American Mathematics Classroom (Stephanie M. Profio, 2004)
Awards and Professional Memberships
- MAA's Trevor Evans Award for best paper to appear in Math Horizons, 2009
- Mathematical Association of America
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- To Each Their Own: Students Asking Questions Through Individualized Math Projects, S.A. Cook, J. Hartman, P.B. Pierce & N.S. Seaders, PRIMUS, Volume 27, Iss. 2, 2017.
- Conquer the World with Markov Chains, (with Robert Wooster) Math Horizons, April 2015.
- Developing Research Skills Across the Undergraduate Curriculum (book chapter) with L. Coates, A. Fraser, and S. Gray, in Enhancing and Expanding Undergraduate Research: A Systems Approach, pp. 145-168, 2015.
- Pierce, P., Math-Flavored Budapest, MAA Focus, December 2011/January 2012, pp. 16-17.
- The Circle Squaring Problem Decomposed (with John Ramsay, Hannah Roberts, Nancy Tinoza, Jeffrey Willert, and Wenyuan Wu) Math Horizons, November 2009.
- A New Sequence Based on Translations-Only Dissections of Regular 2n-gons (with J. Willert* and W. Wu*), Proceedings of the Midstates Conference for Undergraduate Research in Computer Science and Mathematics, The College of Wooster, November 2008, pp. 27-36.
- Sequence A141292 in The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (with J. Willert* and W. Wu*), published electronically at http://oeis.org/A141292" by N.J.A. Sloane (2008).
- On Some High Indices Theorems III (with M. Schramm and D. Waterman), Analysis, 28 (2008), pp. 367-373.
- Making the Mathematics Major Work for the Under-Prepared Student (with B. Gold, J. Ramsay, and L. Taalman), MAA Focus, Vol. 28, Issue 4, April 2008.
- The Circle Squaring Problem Dissected (with M. Rhollans* and J. Willert*), Proceedings of the Midstates Conference for Undergraduate Research in Computer Science and Mathematics, John Carroll University, November 2007, pp. 27-36.
- Some Generalizations of the Notion of Bounded Variation (with D. Velleman), The American Mathematical Monthly, Vol. 13, No.10, December 2006.
- Don’t Bet on Gambling to Strike it Rich - a column for the Wooster Daily Record, June 2004.
- On the Invariance of the Classes ΦBV, ΛBV Under Composition (with D. Waterman), Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, 132 (2004), pp. 755-760.
- A Δ2-Equivalent Condition (with D. Waterman), Real Analysis Exchange, 26 (2001), pp. 651-655.
- Bounded Variation in the Mean (with D. Waterman), Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, 128 (2000), pp. 2593-2596.
- Regulated Functions Whose Fourier Series Converge for Every Change of Variable (with D. Waterman), Journal of Mathematical Analysis and its Applications, 214 (1997), pp. 264-282.