Department/Affiliation: Urban Studies, Sociology and Anthropology
Office Address: 024 Kauke Hall
- B.A., Hunter College 1984
- M.A., Long Island University 1997
- Ph.D., The University of Pennsylvania 2009
- SOAN 201: Education in Sociocultural Context
- SOCI 100: Intro to Sociology
- SOCI 214: Racial & Ethnic Groups in American Society
- SOCI 215: American Masculinities (Writing Intensive)
- SOCI 217: Blacks in Contemporary American Society
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Gertrude and Otto Pollak Summer Research Fellowship (University of Pennsylvania)
- Spencer Foundation Pre-Dissertation Fellowship for Research in Urban Education (University of Pennsylvania)
- American Sociological Association
- American Education Research Association (Division G, Social Context of Education)
- Phi Delta Kappa
- "David's Story: From Promise to Despair," published in Against the Wall: Poor, Young, Black, and Male (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2008).
- "Inner-City Schoolboy Life," published in The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science (2004).
His primary areas of research are race, masculinity, urban sociology, urban education, and social inequality.