R. Drew Pasteur
Associate Professor of Mathematics (on leave 2015-2016)
Office Address: 311 Taylor
- B.S., University of Florida 1996
- M.Ed., University of Florida 1997
- M.S., North Carolina State 2004
- Ph.D., North Carolina State 2008
- First Year Seminar
- Calculus with Algebra
- Differential Equations
- Numerical Analysis
- Mathematical Modeling
- Introduction to Mathematical Biology
- Math in Contemporary Society
- Problem Seminar
Publications *indicates student co-author
- R.D. Pasteur and K. Cunningham-Rhoads*, "An expectation-based metric for NFL field goal kickers,"Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports 10(1), 2014.
- A. Blaikie*, A.D. Saines*, M. Schmitthenner*, M. Lankford*, R.D. Pasteur, and J.F. Lindner, "Order and chaos in the rotation and revolution of two massive line segments," Physical Review E, 89, 042917, 2014.
- G.H. Nguyen*, J. Kedia*, R.F. Snyder*, R.D. Pasteur, and R.D. Wooster, "Sales Forecasting using Regression and Artificial Neural Networks," Proceedings of MCURCSM 2013.
- S. Visa, S. Strand, R.D. Pasteur, and W. Morgan, Interdisciplinary Teaching and Research at a Liberal Arts College on Computational Biology Proceedings of the 16th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics, Special Track on Interdisciplinary Research, Education, and Communication, pp. 196-201, Orlando, 2012
- J. David, R.D. Pasteur, M.C. Janning*, and M.S. Ahmad*, NFL Prediction Using Committees of Artificial Neural Networks Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports 7(2), 2011.
- A.D. Blaikie*, G.J. Abud*, J.A. David, and R.D. Pasteur, “NFL and NCAA Football Prediction using Artificial Neural Networks,” Proceedings of the Midstates Conference for Undergraduate Research in Computer Science and Mathematics, Denison University, Granville, OH, 2011.
- R.D. Pasteur and M.C. Janning*, Monte Carlo Simulation for High School Playoff Seed Projection Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports 7(2), 2011.
- R.D. Pasteur and J.F. Selgrade, “A Deterministic, Mathematical Model for Hormonal Control of the Human Menstrual Cycle”, Chap. 3 (pp. 39-58) in W. Dubitsky, J. Southgate, and H. Fuss (eds.), Understanding the Dynamics of Biological Systems: Lessons from Integrative Systems Biology, Springer-Verlag, 2011.
- A.M. Licking*, K.R. Reid*, R.D. Pasteur, and J.R. Ramsay, “A non-elliptical model for steel cord cross-sections,” Proceedings of the Midstates Conference for Undergraduate Research in Computer Science and Mathematics, Wittenberg University, pp. 34-42, 2010.
- R.D. Pasteur, “When Perfect Isn’t Good Enough: Retrodictive Rankings in College Football,” Chap. 11 (pp. 131-146) in J.A. Gallian (ed.), Mathematics and Sports, Mathematical Association of America, 2010.
- R.D. Pasteur, “Extending the Colley Method to Generate Predictive Football Rankings,” Chap. 10 (pp. 117-129) in J. A. Gallian (ed.), Mathematics and Sports, Mathematical Association of America, 2010.
Recent Senior Theses Advised
- The Use of Data and Statistical Analysis to Predict an Outcome (Colin Woodward, 2015)
- Why Apply? Building a Predictive Model to Quantify the Factors that Lead a Domestic Student to Apply to The College of Wooster (Joshua Foerst, 2015)
- XH-π bonding in systems of indole and benzene using IBBCEAS and a bioinformatics analysis of protein secondary structure using graph theory (Meredith Schervish, Math and Chemistry, 2015)
- Conquering Carcassonne (Andrew Hoover, Math and Computer Science, 2015)
- Analysis of Factors that Influence the Probability of a Goal in the National Hockey League (Josephine Rey, 2014)
- Go with the Flow Developing Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations According to the Navier-Stokes Equations (Danielle Shepherd, Math and Physics, 2014)
- Modeling for our Lives: A Theoretical Study of HIV/AIDS Epidemiology Through Mathematical Modeling (Jacob Malone, 2014)
- Creation of a Mathematical Model and Investigation of the Kinetics of the Reaction Between the Oxalic Acid Species and the Hydroxyl Radical (Sarah Laper, Math and Chemistry, 2014)
- The Entanglement and Relaxation of Liquid Crystal Shaped Granular Media (Theresa Albon, Math and Physics, 2013)
- A Theoretical and Experimental Pattern Analysis of Electrohydrodynamic Convection in a Liquid Crystal System (Matt Schmitthenner, Math and Physics, 2013)
- An Agent-based Model of Influenza Within a College Population (Matt Lambert, Math and Computer Science, 2013)
- ξ. (Philip Wales, Math and Physics, 2013)
- // (Andrew Blaikie, Math and Physics, 2013)
- Optimizing Integer Arithmetic for Public Key Cryptography (Spencer Hall, Math and Computer Science, 2013)
- Entrapment and determination of lipase embedded in swellable organosilica, modeling particle aggregation and aging of colloidal sol-gels (Kemar Reid, Math and BCMB, 2012)
- Prediction of professional basketball games using artificial neural networks and linear models (Keisha Butler, 2012)
- Experimental and theoretical investigation of the dimerization of oxalic acid, a potential reaction within secondary organic aerosols (Melissa Venecek, Math and Chemistry, 2012)
- Using mathematical models to evaluate NFL field goal kicking (Kyle Cunningham-Rhoads, 2012)
- Modeling human papillomavirus with vaccination (Meredith Kiefer, 2012)
- Model looking at the expected number of shots to hole out on a golf course (Blake Sword, 2012)
- Exploring the Effects of Initial Conditions on the Kinetics of the Decomposition of Dichloroacetic Acid through a Hydrogen Peroxide and Ultraviolet Radiation Oxidation Process (Pamela Wales, Math and Chemistry, 2011)
- An Introduction to Game Theory and its Application to Biology (Hannah Kurtz, 2011)
- An Evolutionary Study of Multimeric Phosphagen Kinases Using Ancestral Protein Reconstruction and the Prediction of Phosphagen Kinase Substrate Specificity Using Artificial Neural Networks (Jason Van Houten, Math and BCMB, 2011)
- What Factors Really Affect Jurors' Decisions: A Mathematical Modeling Approach to a Common Psychological Question (Dustin Eisele, Math and Psychology, 2011)