Sibrina N. Collins
Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Inorganic
Office Address: 101 Severance
- B.A., Wayne State University, Chemistry 1994
- M.S., The Ohio State University, Inorganic Chemistry 1996
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Inorganic Chemistry 2000
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Louisiana State University, Department of Chemistry, Baton Rouge, LA 2000-2001
Area of Research
- History of Chemistry, African American contributions to science
- Chemical Education, Hip-Hop and Chemistry
- Development of effective anticancer agents containing late transition metal centers
- Chemistry 110: Introductory Chemistry
- Chemistry 120: Principles of Chemistry
- Chemistry 340: Inorganic Chemistry
- Chemistry 341: Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- James Aryeetey: Synthesis and Characterization of Iron and Cobalt Salts with p-phenylenebis(picolinaldimine)
- Bryan Albani: the Synthesis and Characterization of Potential Anti-Cancer Gold(III) Coordination Compounds
- Blake Smith: The Synthesis and Characterization of Anti-Cancer Gold Complexes and Anti-Bacterial Silver Complexes Using the BAP Ligand
- Sara Wiswell: the Synthesis of a 2-Phenyl-1,10-Phenanthroline-Gold(III) Complex for its Potential Anti-Cancer Properties
Awards and Professional Memberships
- History of Science Society
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- NSBE Certificate of Appreciation, November 2007
- NOBCChE Service Award, March 2005
History of Chemistry and Diversity in Science
- Review of "African American Women Chemists" by Jeanette Brown, Bull. Hist. Chem., 2012, 37(2), 106-107.
- Collins, S.N.; Deer, C.J.; Gilbert, J.E. "Chemistry and Hip Hop: Outreach Efforts to Attract Minority Students to the Chemical Sciences," Chem. Educator, 2012, 17, 175-178.
- Collins, S.N. "Celebrating Our Diversity. The Education of Some Pioneering African American Chemists in Ohio," Bull. Hist. Chem., 2011, 36(2), 82-84.
- Collins, S.N.; "African Americans and Science," Chem. Eng. News, 2009, 87(43), p 3.
- Smith, S.R.; Collins, S.N.; Eppley, H.; Geselbracht, M.; Jamieson, E.; Johnson, A.; Nataro, C.; Reisner, B.; Stewart, J.; Williams, B.S.; Watson, L. "VIPEr: An Online Academic Resource Enhancing Undergraduate Research,: Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) Web Vignettes, 2013, 34(2), 14-15.
- Collins, S.N. "What's in Your iPod?" J. Chem. Educ., 2010, 87(10), 1017-1018.
- Collins, S.N.; Holt, H.L.; Harkless, J.A.; Gudmundsdottir, A.D.; Ault, B.S. "Visiting Faculty Mentor as a Component of a NSF-REU Program," J. Chem. Educ., 2009, 86(5), p 565.
Inorganic Chemistry (*Asterisk denotes student co-authors)
- Krause, J.A.; Zhao, D.; Chatterjee, S.; Falcon, R.*; Stoltz, K.*; Warren, J. C.*; Wiswell, S.E.*; Connick, W.B.; Collins, S.N. "In-House and Synchroton X-ray Diffraction Studies of 2-Phenyl-1,10-Phenanthroline, Protonated Salts, Complexes with Gold(III) and Copper(II), and an Orthometallation Product with Palladium(II)," Acta Cryst. C., 2014, C70, 260-266.
- Sun, Y.; Collins, S.N.; Joyce, L.E.; Turro, C. "Unusual Photophysical Properties of a Ru(II) Complex Related to [Ru(bpy)2(dppz)]2+," Inorg. Chem. 2010, 49(9), pp 4257-4262.
- Collins, S.N.; Taylor, S.; Krause, J.A.; Connick, W.B. “2,6-bis(azaindole)pyridine: Reactivity with Iron(III) and Copper(II) Salts,” Acta Cryst. C. 2007, C63, m436-m439.
- Collins, S.N.; Krause, J.A.; Regis, M.; Ball, P.J.; Connick, W.B. “Self-assembly of a One-Dimensional Iron(II) Coordination Polymer with p-phenylenebis(picolinaldimine),”Acta Cryst. C. 2007, C63, m528-m530.
- Collins, S.N.; Brett, C.M; Bursten, B.E. “Density Functional Theory and Low-Temperature Investigations of CO-Loss Photochemistry from [(C5R5)Ru(CO)2]2 (R=H, Me) Complexes,” The Journal of Cluster Science, 2004, 15(4), 469-487.