Sibrina N. Collins
Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Inorganic
Office Address: 101 Severance
- B.A., Wayne State University, Chemistry 1994
- M.S., The Ohio State University, Inorganic Chemistry 1996
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Inorganic Chemistry 2000
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Louisiana State University, Department of Chemistry, Baton Rouge, LA 2000-2001
Area of Research
Biological Activity of Transition Metal Complexes
- Chemistry 110: Introductory Chemistry
- Chemistry 120: Principles of Chemistry
- Chemistry 340: Inorganic Chemistry
- Chemistry 341: Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- James Aryeetey: Synthesis and Characterization of Iron and Cobalt Salts with p-phenylenebis(picolinaldimine)
- Bryan Albani: the Synthesis and Characterization of Potential Anti-Cancer Gold(III) Coordination Compounds
- Blake Smith: The Synthesis and Characterization of Anti-Cancer Gold Complexes and Anti-Bacterial Silver Complexes Using the BAP Ligand
- Sara Wiswell: the Synthesis of a 2-Phenyl-1,10-Phenanthroline-Gold(III) Complex for its Potential Anti-Cancer Properties
Awards and Professional Memberships
- NSBE Certificate of Appreciation, November 2007
- NOBCChE Service Award, March 2005
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers (NOBCChE)
- Collins, S.N. "What's in Your iPod?" J. Chem. Educ., 2010, 87(10), 1017-1018.
- Sun, Y.; Collins, S.N.; Joyce, L.E.; Turro, C. "Unusual Photophysical Properties of a Ru(II) Complex Related to [Ru(bpy)2(dppz)]2+," Inorg. Chem. 2010, 49(9), pp 4257-4262.
- Collins, S.N.; Holt, H.L.; Harkless, J.A.; Gudmundsdottir, A.D.; Ault, B.S. “Visiting Faculty Mentor as a Component of a NSF-REU Program,” J. Chem. Educ., 2009, 86(5), p 565.
- Collins, S.N.; "African Americans and Science," Chem. Eng. News, 2009, 87(43), p 3.
- Collins, S.N.; Taylor, S.; Krause, J.A.; Connick, W.B. “2,6-bis(azaindole)pyridine: Reactivity with Iron(III) and Copper(II) Salts,” Acta Cryst. C. 2007, C63, m436-m439.
- Collins, S.N.; Krause, J.A.; Regis, M.; Ball, PJ; Connick, W.B. “Self-assembly of a One-Dimensional Iron(II) Coordination Polymer with p-phenylenebis(picolinaldimine),”Acta Cryst. C. 2007, C63, m528-m530.
- Quaraishi, I.; Collins, S.N; Pestenar, J.P.; Harris, T.; Bagasra, O. “Role of Zinc and Zinc Transporters in Molecular Pathogenesis of Diabetes Mellitus in African Americans,” Medical Hypothesis, 2005, 65(5), 887-92.
- Collins, S.N.; Brett, C.M; Bursten, B.E. “Density Functional Theory and Low-Temperature Investigations of CO-Loss Photochemistry from [(C5R5)Ru(CO)2]2 (R=H, Me) Complexes,” The Journal of Cluster Science, 2004, 15(4), 469-487.
- Mwongela, S.; Akbay, C.; Zhu, Xiafeng; Collins, S.N.; Warner, I.M. “Use of Poly (Sodium Oleyl-L-leucyl-valinate) Surfactant for the Separation of Chiral Compounds in Micellar Electrokinetic Chromatography,” Electrophoresis, 2003, 24, 2940-2947.
- “Refinement of Ferrous Sulfate Heptahydrate (melanterite) with Low-Temperature CCD Data,” Fronczek, F.; Collins, S.N.; Chan, J.Y. Acta Cryst. E: Struct. Rep. Online, 2001, 57(4), i26-i27.