William F. Harn Professor of Physics
- B.S., University of Madras, India 1970
- M.S., University of Sussex, UK 1972
- Ph.D., University of Kent, UK 1975
- First Year Seminar
- Cultural Physical Science
- Calculus-based Foundations of Physics and labs
- Algebra-based Introductory Physics and labs
- Modern Physics and lab
- Electronics and lab
- Modern Optics
- Thermal Physics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Junior Independent Study
I.S. Projects [abstracts]
- Theresa Albon, The Entanglement and Relaxation of Liquid Crystal Shaped Granular Media, 2013
- Matt Schmitthenner, A Theoretical and Experimental Pattern Analysis of Electrohydrodynamic Convection in a Liquid Crystal System, 2013
- Saleh Satti, Phase Transitions and Dielectric Anisotropy in Nematic Binary Mixtures: Comparing 7CB and MBBA Mixtures to 5CB and MBBA Mixtures, 2005
- Sarah Connolly, Synthesis and Deformation of Smectic-A Liquid Crystals, 2002
- Joshua S. Martin, The Investigation of Possible Candidates for a Calamitic and Discotic Mixture and the Physical Properties of the Eutectic Mixture N4, 2002
- Amy Lytle, A Structural and Optical Study of Evaporated Droplets Containing DNA, 2001
- Tsang-Min Huang, Kathleen McCreary*, Shila Garg, Thein Kyu, "Induced smectic phases in phase diagrams of binary nematic liquid crystal mixtures," Journal of Chemical Physics, volume 134, 124508 (2011).
- Iain Crawford, Shila Garg, John Neuhoff, “Undergraduate Research as Faculty Development: The College of Wooster Experience” CUR Quarterly, Vol. 28, Spring 2008.
- S. Garg and T. Spears*, "Dielectric Properties of a Nematic Binary Mixture" Molecular Crystals Liquid Crystals 409, 335 (2004).
- S. Garg, K. Purdy*, E. Bramley*, I. Smalyukh and O. Lavrentovich, "Electric field induced nucleation and growth of focal conic and stripe domains in smectic A liquid crystal," Liquid Crystals 30, 1377 (2003).
- A. Christine Rauch*, Shila Garg and D. T. Jacobs, "Phase Transitions in a Nematic Binary Mixture" Journal of Chemical Physics 116, 2213 (2002).
- Shila Garg, Christopher Ditchman*, Nathan Schiffrik*, U. D. Kini, "Electric Field Induced Transient Effects in a Nematic Liquid Crystal in the Presence of a Stabilizing Magnetic Field," Molecular Crystals Liquid Crystals 328, 581 (1999).
- Shila Garg, Erica Bramley*, U. D. Kini, "Wave Structures in the Homogeneous Bend Transition of 4-n- pentyl-4-cyanobiphenyl," Molecular Crystals Liquid Crystals 325, 209 (1998).
- Shila Garg, Steven Wild*, Ben Zurn*, Salman Saeed*, U. D. Kini, "Frequency Variation of Periodic Distortion Thresholds in a Nematic Liquid Crystal," Liquid Crystals 24, 501 (1998).
- Shila Garg, Salman Saeed*, Steven Wild*, Erica Bramley*, U. D. Kini. "Frequency Dependent Threshold in Bend Geometry of 5CB," Molecular Crystals Liquid Crystals 302, 379 (1997).