Associate Professor of Computer Science
Department/Affiliation: Computer Science
Office Address: 304 Taylor
- B.S., University of Lucian Blaga, Romania, 1998
- M.S., University of Cincinnati, 2002
- Ph.D, University of Cincinnati, 2007
- Scientific Computing
- Computer Networking and Communication
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Machine Intelligence
- Computer Organization
- Calculus for Social Sciences
- First Year Seminar
- Problem Seminar
- Operating Systems
Recent Senior Theses Advised
- Veni, Vidi, Didici: A Video Game for Learning Latin (William Rial, Computer Science and Classical Studies, 2016)
- Needles and Haystack: A Computational Approach to Finding Subalgebras of the Symmetric Group (Peter Nelson, 2016)
- An Exposition of Support Vector Machine Classification with a Purpose-Built GUI for Exploring Some Commonly Used Kernels (Dagmawi Zegeye, 2016)
- Predicting Stock Market Directionality Using Twitter and Neural Networks (Tyler Catlin, 2016)
- Bring Life to a Historical Drawing (Sue Reon Kim, 2016)
- Are You Sure You're in the Right Classroom? Researching the Lack of Women in Computer Science (Catherine Eckbold, 2016)
- Robotic Navigation Using Image Analysis, (Jacob Priest, 2016)
- On Designing and Implementing Graphical Interface for Mild Dementia and Early-Stage Alzheimer's Patients (Michelle Blackwood, 2014)
- Optimizing Merit Scholarhips for Enrollment Management at The College of Wooster (Tin Nguyen, Computer Science and Business Economics, 2014)
- Don't Get Boxed In: Connecting the Dots of Game Theory Through Computer Simulations (Trevor Pozderac, Computer Science and Math, 2014)
- An Agent-based Model of Influenza Within a College Population (Matt Lambert, Math and Computer Science, 2013)
- Optimizing Integer Arithmetic for Public Key Cryptography (Spencer Hall, Math and Computer Science, 2013)
- Exploring the Capabilities of the Scribbler Robot for Introductory CS Classes (David Mar, 2010)
- BitTorrent-Enhanced Distributed Internet Caching: Applying Peer-to-Peer Protocols to Enhance Performance and Scalability of Browser-Accessible Internet Resources (Max Rafferty,2010)
- GraffiWii The Wiimote as a Text Entry Device (Joseph Henrich, 2009)
Association for Computing Machinery
- E. Van der Knaap, J. Clevenger, J. Van Houten, M. Blackwood, G. Rodriguez, Y. Jikumaru, Y. Kamiya, M. Kusano, K. Saito, and S. Visa, "Network analyses reveal shifts in transcript profiles and metabolites that accompany the expression of SUN and an elongated tomato fruit" to appear in Plant Physiology, 2015.
- S. Visa, C. Cao, B. McSpadden-Gardener, E. van der Knaap, Modeling Tomato Fruits into Nine Shape Categories using Elliptic Fourier Shape Modeling and Bayesian Classification of Contour Morphometric Data, Euphytica, June 2014.
- M. Blackwood, S.Visa, E. van der Knaap. Finding regulatory motifs in the Solanum Lycopersicum genome, In Proceedings of the International Students Conference on Informatics - Imagination, Creativity, Design, Development Conference, Romania, 2013.
- Book chapter: N. Jiang, S. Visa, S. Wu, E. van der Knaap, Rider Transposon Insertion and Phenotypic Change in Tomato. Plant Transposable Elements, Topics in Current Genetics. 24, Chapter 15, 297-312. 2013.
- S. Visa, S. Strand, R.D. Pasteur, W. Morgan. Interdisciplinary Teaching and Research at a Liberal Arts College on Computational Biology, In Proceedings of The 16th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Special Track on Interdisciplinary Research, Education, and Communication, pages 196-201, Orlando, 2012.
- S. Visa, A. Ralescu, M. Ionescu. A Framework for Segmentation using Edge Guided Image Clustering, International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, Vol 2(1), 29-37. 2012.
- S. Visa. The effect of class imbalance, complexity, size, and learning distribution on classifier performance, International Journal of Advanced Intelligence Paradigms Vol 3(3/4), 341-366. 2011.
- J.Thomas, M.Lambert, B. Snyder, M. Janning, J. Haning, Y. Hu, M. Ahmad, S. Visa. Learning Morphological Data of Tomato Fruits, In Proceedings of the 23rd Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference, Cincinnati, OH, 2011.
- S.Visa, B. Ramsay, A.Ralescu, E. van der Knaap. Confusion Matrix-based Feature Selection, In Proceedings of the 23rd Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference, Cincinnati, OH, 2011.
- S.Visa. S.Strand, T.Vrolijk. Genomic Comparison of North American Strains of Histoplasma Capsulatum, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Future Computer and Communication Conference, Iasi, Romania, June 2011.
- S.Visa. M.Ionescu, A. Ralescu. Edge Coincidence Based Technique for Image Segmentation, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Future Computer and Communication Conference, Iasi, Romania, June 2011.
- M.Rafferty, S.Visa. BitTorrent-Enhanced Distributed Internet Caching (BEDIC), Midstates Conference For Undergraduate Research in Computer Science and Mathematics, Wittenberg University, OH, November 2010.
- A.Ralescu, S.Visa, S.Popovici. A Stochastic Treatment of Similarity, In Proceedings of the Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems Conference, Dortmund, Germany, July 2010.
- S.Visa, A.Ralescu, Data-driven fuzzy sets for classification, International Journal of Advanced Intelligence Paradigms, Volume 1, No. 1, pages 3-30, 2008.
- A.Ralescu, S.Visa. On Filling-in Missing Attribute Values for Bayes and Fuzzy Classifiers, In Proceedings of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Conference, New York, May 2008.
- S.Visa, D.Guerra, S. Garcia. Detecting Atmospheric Buoyancy Waves in Lidar Data, In Proceedings of the 19th Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference, Cincinnati, OH, pages 62-69, April 2008.
- M.Ionescu, S.Visa, A.Ralescu. Evaluation of the Similarity between Heterogeneous Data using a Fuzzy Sets based Approach, In Proceedings of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Conference, San Diego, pages 463-466, June 2007.
- A.Ralescu, S.Visa. Obtaining Fuzzy Sets from Data using the Mass Assignment Theory - Consistency with Interpolation, In Proceedings of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Conference, San Diego, pages 436-440, June 2007.
- S.Visa, A.Ralescu, M.Ionescu. Investigating Learning Methods for Binary Data, In Proceedings of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Conference, San Diego, pages 441-444, June 2007.
- S.Visa, A.Ralescu. On the Relation between Bayes and Fuzzy Classifiers, In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FuzzIEEE), Vancouver, Canada, pages 863- 868, July 2006.
- S.Visa, A.Ralescu. Bayes Classifiers – a Particular Case of Fuzzy Classifiers, In Proceedings of the Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems Conference, Paris, France, July 2006.
- S.Visa, A.Ralescu. Fuzzy Classifiers Versus Cost-Based Bayesian Classifiers, In Proceedings of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Conference, Montreal, Canada, pages 302-305, June 2006.
- S.Visa, A.Ralescu. Fuzzy Classifiers versus Cost-based Bayesian Classifiers – A Preliminary Study, In Proceedings of the Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference, Valparaiso, IN, pages 117-122, April 2006.