Employment Options for F-1 Students

Employment options for F-1 visa holders are outlined below. To be eligible for any form of off campus employment in the USA, you must have been in “good standing” with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for one academic year.

On-Campus Employment

All F-1 visa holders are eligible to seek employment on-campus at the school that issued their I-20, assuming they are enrolled full time and are maintaining lawful status. Contact the Office of Student Employment to learn about this process. They may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and may work full time during break and vacation periods. They may not work on campus when on leave, following a withdrawal, or upon program completion.

Other Options and More Information