Economic Hardship

If on-campus employment is not available or insufficient, and the F-1 student is experiencing severe economic hardship "due to unforeseen circumstances beyond their control," one may apply to the USCIS for an off-campus work permit based on Economic Hardship. This work permission is valid with any employer, and it typically issued in one year allocations. The authorized F-1 may work for up to 20 hours while school is in session and may work full-time during breaks and vacations (with no effect on campus eligibility). Employment based on Economic Hardship is institution specific.