Social Security Number

Material on this Web site is general and for informational purposes only. It does not constitute or replace professional legal advice, and you should not rely on it solely when making decisions about your immigration status or reporting requirements.

In order to be the recipient of financial compensation in the U.S. , one is required to have a Social Security Number (SS#) issued by the Social Security Administration, or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) issued by the Internal Revenue Service. This overview is intended to assist College of Wooster ’s International Students (with F-1 status) who wish to apply for a SS#.

An application for a new SS# or a replacement card must be made in person, and requires:

  • Form SS-5, Application For a Social Security Number
  • Valid Passport
  • I-94 Arrival / Departure Card
  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • Proof of Employment (for on campus employment, this requirement is met by a confirmation letter signed by Ruth Lopez, Principal Designated School Official)

Once you go through the interview process, be sure to request a receipt! (You may need to provide evidence that you have submitted the application.)

Your application can take 2-4 weeks to process. Once your application is received, the Social Security Administration will verify your immigration documents and status through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program (SAVE). It takes approximately 10 days following your entrance to the US before your data will appear in SAVE. If your data is not confirmed through SAVE, SSA is required to request verification in writing from DHS Los Angeles Immigration Status Verification (LOSISV). LOSISV has direct access to SEVIS, so if your application gets to this point it is vital that the OISA has registered your enrollment in the system.

When you receive your Social Security Card, you must report the number to:

  1. The Office Of The Registrar
  2. The Office Of Student Employment
  3. Your Bank, if requested

If you are not eligible to receive a Social Security number, you may apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) by filing Form W-7 with the Internal Revenue Service. An ITIN may be used instead of a SSN – for taxes, banking, etc.

Address and Directions

Social Security Administration
2345 Gateway Drive, Wooster OH 44691
Phone: 1-877-319-0729

The Social Security Administration Office is located between State route 585 and Eagle Pass. Take Beall Ave. north to Portage Rd , turn right at the light. Travel east, pass Kmart shopping center, turn right at Akron Rd, and then take a 1st left onto Gateway Drive.