The John Plummer Memorial Scholarship for Promoting a Welcoming Campus for LGBTQ People was established in 2008 in memory of John Plummer, a longtime comptroller in the Wooster Business Office and mentor to the Wooster lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) student community. Plummer, one of the few openly gay persons on campus, served as a lifeline to many in Wooster’s gay student community and was an ardent advocate for a more inclusive and respectful Wooster campus. After Plummer’s death in 2006, Hans Johnson, a 1992 graduate and friend of Plummer, became the guiding force in the creation of the scholarship.
The scholarship combines individual gifts from private donors. The scholarship, of approximately $1500, is conferred on a sophomore, junior, or senior student each year on or about October 11 (National Coming Out Day) based on the recommendation of a small advisory committee. The committee includes representatives of alumni, the board, faculty, administration, and the business office (from which John Plummer retired as comptroller in 2002).
The scholarship is open to all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Indeed, non-gay allies play a particularly important role in eradicating stigma and in extending the boundaries of knowledge and respect. The scholarship embraces this understanding.
- 2014 - Jacob Danko '16, a double major in anthropology and women's, gender, and sexuality studies, from Fredericktown, Pennsylvania.
- 2013 - Jacob Malone '14, a double major in english and mathematics, from Columbus, Ohio.
- 2012 - Christina Bowerman '13, a double major in religious studies and women’s, gender, and sexuality studies, from Walnut Creek, California.
- 2011 - Sage Nenyue '12, a communications studies major, from Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2010 - Estancia Cota '10, an anthropology major, from Vancouver, Washington
- 2009 - Kylie Schrock '12**, a music major, from Millersburg, Ohio
- 2008 - Sarah Gollwitzer '09, a biochemistry and molecular biology major, from Lakewood, Ohio
** Kylie received this scholarship during her sophomore year but withdrew from the College before completing her degree.
For more information about the scholarship and its' history, please visit the John Plummer Memorial Scholarship website.