Regional Tournament Information
The American Moot Court Association's official Midwest Regional Tournament, co-sponsored by the Wayne County Bar Association, takes place at the end of the fall semester at The College of Wooster. This year's tournament will be held November 16 and 17, 2018.
Regional tournaments act as qualifying tournaments for teams wishing to compete at the AMCA National Tournament in January 2019. The top 20% of teams competing at each regional will receive an automatic invitation to the national tournament. To compete in the national tournament, teams must first compete in an AMCA sanctioned regional tournament.
At the regional tournaments, two-person teams will be required to present oral arguments in three preliminary rounds on Friday afternoon, November 16. Each team will represent both petitioner and respondent. Order of argument and matching teams will be determined randomly. We will break 16 teams into the finals, holding four rounds on Saturday, November 17, in single elimination rounds.
- 2018 Case Problem
- 2018 Tournament Schedule - Teams (.pdf)
- 2018 Tournament Schedule - Judges (.pdf)
- AMCA tournament rules
- Judging Instructions (.pdf)
- Sample judging ballot and scoring guidelines
Information for Judges
Check-in for judges is from 1:00 – 1:45 p.m. in the first floor lobby of Scovel Hall (944 College Mall). Beverages will be available. The judges' orientation meeting will be held from 1:45 – 2:20 p.m in Scovel Hall, room 105.
Information for Competitors
Please contact Mark Weaver, Midwest Tournament Director and President of the American Moot Court Association, to register for this tournament.
The registration fee for the Midwest Regional Moot Court Tournament is $125.00 per team. Registration closes on October 15, 2018. A $100 late fee will be due for any registration fee not received by October 15. After the electronic registration is complete, please mail the email confirmation form, along with your registration check made out to "The College of Wooster," to Patrice Reeder, Tournament Coordinator, The College of Wooster, Scovel Hall, 944 College Mall, Wooster, OH 44691. Unfortunately we cannot accept payment made by credit card.
Check-in for teams is from 1:15 – 1:45 p.m. in Wishart Hall, room 001 lobby (303 E. University). Water will be available for all team members and coaches. The team orientation meeting will be held in the same room from 1:45 – 2:20 p.m.
The ACMA 2018-2019 National Tournament was held January 12 and 13, 2019, at Florida A&M, Orlando - College of Law. Wooster teams results of January 2018 National Tournament can be found here.
2018 - 2019 ACMA Midwest Regional Tournament Results
- First Place Team 327: Rebecca Lin & Henry Filosa, University of Chicago
- Second Place Team 312: Caroline Smith & Moataz Abdelrasoul, Youngstown State University
- Semifinalist Team 303: Sahana Ramani & Teni Odugbesan, University of Chicago
- Semifinalist Team 305: Brian Duricy & Mellicent Costarella, Youngstown State University
- Team 318 Marcas Motter and Thomas Benson, University of Chicago
- Team 316 Margaret Hamm and Mackenzie Clark, Miami University
- Team 325 Matthew Houck and Ana Borish, Ohio Wesleyan University
- Team 309 Levi Gross and Evangeline Wismer, Cedarville University
INDIVIDUAL ORATOR AWARDS
- Sahana Ramani, University of Chicago
- Teni Odugbesan, University of Chicago
- Brian Duricy, Youngstown State University
- Mellicent Costarella, Youngstown State University
- Moataz Abdelrasoul, Youngstown State University
- Rita Chiboub, College of Wooster
- Stephanie Pokras, College of Wooster
- Ryan Reding, Miami University
- Paul Anderson, Carnegie Mellon University
- Henry Filosa, University of Chicago