Regional Tournament Information
The American Moot Court Association's official Midwest Regional Tournament, co-sponsored by the Wayne County Bar Association, takes place at the end of the fall semester at The College of Wooster. This year's tournament will be held November 17 and 18, 2017.
Regional tournaments act as qualifying tournaments for teams wishing to compete at the ACMA National Tournament in January 2018. The top 20% of teams competing at each regional will receive an automatic invitation to the national tournament. To compete in the national tournament, teams must first compete in an AMCA sanctioned regional tournament.
At the regional tournaments, two-person teams will be required to present oral arguments in three preliminary rounds on Friday afternoon, November 17. Each team will represent both petitioner and respondent. Order of argument and matching teams will be determined randomly. We will break 16 teams into the finals, holding four rounds on Saturday, November 18, in single elimination rounds.
- 2017 Case Problem (rev. August 7)
- 2017 Tournament Schedule - Teams(.pdf)
- 2017 Tournament Schedule - Judges (.pdf)
- AMCA tournament rules
- Judging Instructions (.pdf)
- Sample judging ballot and scoring guidelines
Information for Judges
Check-in for judges is from 1:00 – 1:45 p.m. in the first floor lobby of Scovel Hall (944 College Mall). Beverages will be available. The judges' orientation meeting will be held from 1:45 – 2:20 p.m in Scovel Hall, room 105.
Information for Competitors
Please contact Mark Weaver, Midwest Tournament Director and President of the American Moot Court Association, to register for this tournament.
The registration fee for the Midwest Regional Moot Court Tournament is $125.00 per team. Registration closes on October 16, 2017. A $100 late fee will be due for any registration fee not received by October 17. After the electronic registration is complete, please mail the email confirmation form, along with your registration check made out to "The College of Wooster," to Patrice Reeder, Tournament Coordinator, The College of Wooster, Scovel Hall, 944 College Mall, Wooster, OH 44691. Unfortunately we cannot accept payment made by credit card.
Check-in for teams is from 1:15 – 1:45 p.m. in Wishart Hall, room 001 lobby (303 E. University). Water will be available for all team members and coaches. The team orientation meeting will be held in the same room from 1:45 – 2:20 p.m.
The ACMA 2017-2018 National Tournament will be held January 19 and 20, 2018, at UNT Dallas - College of Law. Wooster results of January 2017 National Tournament.
2017 - 2018 ACMA Midwest Regional Tournament Results
- First Place Team 203 Erik Glasgow and Brian Duricy, Youngstown State University
- Second Place Team 233 Morganne Ramsey and Kennedy Green, University of Chicago
- Semifinalist Team 227 Rebecca Lin and Henry Filosa, University of Chicago
- Semifinalist Team 207 Shelley Grostefon and Coral Ciupak, College of Wooster
- Team 231 Sebastian Campbell and Vittoria Calello, University of Central Florida
- Team 234 Oria Daugherty and Tolly Colby, College of Wooster
- Team 218 Katherine Castaner and Andrew Scaglione, University of Central Florida
- Team 212 Alexis Russell and Jessie Dickens, University of Central Florida
INDIVIDUAL ORATOR AWARDS
- Rebecca Lin, University of Chicago
- Henry Filosa, University of Chicago
- Morganne Ramsey, University of Chicago
- Kennedy Green, University of Chicago
- Jason Long, Youngstown State University
- Brian Duricy, Youngstown State University
- Shelley Grostefon, The College of Wooster
- Katherine Castaner, University of Central Florida
- Marissa Joers, University of Dubuque
- Coral Ciupak, The College of Wooster