Checking Out Materials Recalling a Checked out Item Locating Materials& Services Missing Materials Loan Policies Renewing Materials Returning MaterialsFor Faculty Media Collection
Media Course Reserves Media Collection Facilities Media Collection Off-Campus Links Media Collection ServicesResearch Assistance Reserves
Databases CONSORT ILL Portal Journal Finder Digital Collections OhioLINK Subject Guides Education Resource Collection Government Information Independent Study Resources Kanopy Licensed TitlesSpecial Collections
Adventure in Education The College of Wooster Archives Collection The Christine Camp Archives: Waldenside The Compton Collection Kay Culp: The Wayne County Peace Coalition Robert D. Davis World War II Collection Gillian Fynn: The Wayne County Peace Coalition Historical Presbyterian & Missionary Collections Homer E. McMaster Lincoln Collection McGregor Collection McMaster Library Collection Notestein Collections The Oral History Collection Pella Collection The Paul O. Peters Collection Nancy Herbst Sechrest Collection Temperance Library for Colleges and Universities Early University of Wooster Textbook Collection Theatre Collections Twentieth-Century International Relations Collection The Josephine Long Wishart Collection: Mother, Home, and HeavenContact Us Hours and Location Policies and Forms
Collection Management Resources Library Departments Forms Library History Library Holdings Hours Maps and Floorplans Mission, Vision, & Values of The College of Wooster LibrariesHow Do I Contact Us Timken Science Library
1140 Beall Avenue
Wooster, OH 44691
Milestones in the History of The College of Wooster Libraries
|1870||The University of Wooster opened with a small collection of donated books in a single room of Old Main Hall.|
|1875||A reading room was added.|
|1892||The library, now 15,000 donated volumes, expanded into the entire second floor of the new west wing of Old Main Hall.|
|1900||Phase 1 of the new University of Wooster Library building, donated by Henry Clay Frick, designed by Nimmons & Fellows of Chicago, and built by Winter and Ames of Wooster, replaced the library in Old Main (which burned the following year). It included a high-ceilinged reading room, classroom, and offices, with a 2-level self-supporting stack wing in the rear.|
|1906||Phase 2 of the University Library, designed by Evert Waid of New York and built by Winter and Ames of Wooster, extended the building to the east, roughly doubling its size.|
|1931||An upper story was added to the stack wing of the Library.|
|1962||The Andrews Library, funded with a principal gift from Mabel Shields Andrews, designed by Shafer, Flynn & Williams of Cleveland, and built by Freeman Construction Company of Wooster, replaced the old Library, “Frick Hall,” which was converted into an art museum and offices.|
|1966||Andrews Library joined the Federal Depository Library Program as a selective depository for United States government publications.|
|1971||Andrews Library became a charter member of the governing board of the Ohio College
Library Center (later OCLC, Inc.: The Online Computer Library Center) for shared cataloging
and interlibrary loan.
Audiovisual services and microform collections were centralized in Andrews Library.
|1978||The library became a member of NEOMARL (Northeast Ohio Major Academic and Research Libraries), later superceded by OhioLINK.|
|1987||The Scheide Music Center opened, its Music Listening Center housing a non-circulating collection of music recordings used in the department’s curriculum but listed in the Libraries’ general catalog.|
|1991||The card catalog and other manual library operations were replaced by an integrated online electronic library system manufactured by Innovative Interfaces, Inc.|
|1995||The Flo K. Gault Library for Independent Study and the accompanying renovation of the adjoining Andrews Library, was funded with a principal gift from Stanley C. and Flo K. Gault, designed by Perry Dean Rogers & Partners of Boston, and constructed by Bogner Construction Company of Wooster. The two libraries included more than 280 senior Independent Study carrels (mostly in the Gault Library) wired to the campus computer network, 4 carrels for emeritus faculty, and 5 group study rooms. The Gault Library also housed reference, reserve, and audiovisual services (including the McCreight Learning Laboratory), plus offices for the Registrar and Financial Aid. The renovated Andrews Library included a newly consolidated Special Collections facility, the new McCoy Computer Laboratory, and the College’s Writing Center.|
|1996||The College of Wooster became a founding member of the Five Colleges of Ohio Consortium, Inc., and merged the Libraries’ online library system with those of Denison University, Kenyon College, and Ohio Wesleyan University to form the CONSORT library system. CONSORT then joined OhioLINK, a statewide academic library consortium, to make the collections of its member libraries readily and quickly available to users throughout the state and to leverage local and state funds for the purchase of electronic resources. CONSORT’s membership in OhioLINK resulted in a steady expansion of the libraries’ electronic journals, books, and other databases.|
|1998||With a principal gift from the Timken Foundation, Frick Hall (the original University of Wooster Library) was decommissioned as an art museum and offices and completely renovated to become the Timken Science Library in Frick Hall, bringing together 4 previously separate departmental libraries. The renovation was designed by Perry Dean Rogers & Partners of Boston and carried out by Bogner Construction Management Company of Wooster. The facility included new ground-level entrances north and south, a dramatic makeover of the high-ceilinged reading room, a computer laboratory, new stacks including some mobile compact shelving, 2 group study rooms, and 26 study carrels.|
|2000||The Five Colleges of Ohio leased space in Newark, Ohio, for off-site storage of lesser-used library materials. Materials in this facility, known as CONStor, remained available for immediate request and 3–4-day delivery anywhere in OhioLINK.|
|2003||Audiovisual Services became the Instructional Media Center, a jointly-operated service of the Libraries and Instructional Technology.|
|2011||Media Library collection is moved from the lower level of Gault Library to the circulation area of Andrews Library.|
|2012||In January the main floor of Andrews Library is transformed into the Collaborative
Research Environment (CoRE). It includes a central classroom/presentation space as
well as collaborative spaces on each side in the form of rooms as well as open study
tables. The Digital Media Bar is included in this redesign to provide support from
the Educational Technology support for the initial creation of digital projects.
In August, the Advising, Planning and Experiential Learning (APEX) center is completed on the lower level of Gault Library. It includes a variety of services for students including advising, career development, entrepreneurship, experiential learning, off-campus study, the Learning Center and the Registrar's office.
|2016||The lower level of Andrews Library is renovated into the Longbrake Commons. It includes
study room, meeting and presentation space to further supplement the work of APEX.
The Digital Studio is created in the south east corner of the main floor of Andrews Library. It includes a "one button" video studio, a sound studio, production meeting space, and digital editing equipment.