Pathways Program Coordinator
Andrews Library 055
If your question is not addressed by the information below, please contact the Pathways Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are Pathway programs?
- Pathway programs are interdisciplinary programs that allow you to pursue your academic interests, gain valuable experience, and explore potential careers.
What commitments does a Pathway require from me?
- Each Pathway program is distinct. Typically, a Pathway requires the completion of 1-2 experiential learning opportunities (such as internships, off-campus study programs, campus leadership positions, volunteer work, and more, a series of reflection exercises, and 3-4 courses. You can learn more about program-specific requirements by visiting each Pathway’s webpage.
Who is eligible to start a Pathway?
- Only first-year and second-year students and first-semester juniors are eligible to declare a Pathway. Some Pathways may have additional opportunities for second-semester juniors and senior students who are not enrolled in a Pathway. You may contact a representative of your Pathway Team or the Pathways Coordinator for more details.
What certification do I receive after completing a Pathway?
- You will receive a certification that is noted on your transcript, e.g., "Certificate in Museum & Archival Studies."
How long does it take to complete a Pathway?
- Pathway programs typically require four semesters of work. Students may complete experiential learning components during summer recesses.
Are Pathways required of all students?
- They are optional.
Can I do more than one Pathway program?
- You won’t need to. Pathways are specifically built to help you think deeply about your interests and connect your academic work to potential careers.
Do Pathways have to be related to my major or minor?
- For some students, the Pathway program will be closely connected to the work of a major or minor. For others, they will be completely distinct. There is no requirement to connect them.
Can I double count courses toward my major or minor and my Pathway?
Can I double count courses toward general education requirements and my Pathway?
Is there an additional cost to complete a Pathway?
- Not usually. There is no additional cost for enrolling in a Pathway program. Students may encounter additional expenses related to their chosen experiential learning opportunities, such as housing and transportation for unpaid internships or study-abroad programs. Some sources of funding are available, including competitive grants and fellowships through APEX and the Global Engagement Office.
How do I decide on a Pathway program?
- There are many ways to learn more about Pathways. You can:
- Attend an information session
- Talk with the Pathways Coordinator
- Talk with a Pathway Peer Advisor
- Talk with one of the faculty or staff members on your Pathway Team
- You should also review your four-year academic plan with your academic advisor or staff in APEX to determine whether a Pathway will fit into your academic plan. Use the Colleague Self-Service “What if?” advising tool to map out the requirements of the pathway.
How do I start a Pathway program?
- When you are ready to begin, simply complete the “Pathways Launch” form on the Student Academic Forms page at the Registrar’s office webpage.
What happens after I declare my pathway?
- You will be enrolled in a Moodle course devoted to the Pathway - and receive a set of instructions on the first steps. The Moodle course will be the central guide and repository for your work in the Pathway .
What is the deadline for declaring a pathway?
- At the end of the sixth week of classes in the fall or spring semesters. This deadline for the 2021 Fall semester is Wednesday, September 29, 2021. Students must declare their Pathway by the fall semester of their junior year.
About completing a pathway:
How can I track my progress within a Pathway?
- You can track your progress within the Pathway on the pathway Moodle page and using the “Degree Progress” tool on Colleague Self-Service
I’m interested in a course that I think relates to my Pathway. Can I count it toward my Pathway’s coursework requirement?
- First, check your Pathway’s list of pre-approved courses. If the course is not included here, you may request that a course be reviewed for a requirement by contacting the Pathways Coordinator or a member of yourPathway Final decisions on course substitutions rests with your Pathway team.
I’m interested in an experiential learning opportunity that I think relates to my Pathway. Can I count it toward my Pathway’s experiential learning requirements if it is not already approved?
- See the details on your Pathway’s Moodle page or contact the Pathways Coordinator for instructions.
What happens if I don’t complete the requirements of the Pathway?
- You won’t receive the notation on your transcript that you’ve completed the Pathway.
Can I change Pathways after I have begun?
- Contact the Pathways Coordinator to discuss your situation. The Pathways Program Committee and your Pathway Team have ultimate authority on this question.