The STEM Zone is a collaborative community where any student taking an introductory science course can work in groups, work independently, and seek support from professors (who hold office hours there) and upper-level students (the Zone Interns). The Zone is a resource offered by the STEM Success Initiative, whose mission is to empower underrepresented STEM students in their academic success and identity development, while cultivating an inclusive STEM community for all students at Wooster. The faculty, staff, and students who support the Zone are there to foster an inclusive STEM community.
To stay up to date with Zone news and events, follow us on Facebook.
Location: Severance 105
Hours: Sunday - Thursday 2:00 - 4:00 PM and 8:00 - 10:00 PM
Who is in the Zone?
- Students taking introductory STEM courses
- STEM Zone Interns (ZIs) - upper-level STEM students who receive significant training and mentoring, and are available to help introductory STEM students with their questions
- Professors holding office hours
- Pre-Health Advising: There is Pre-Health Advising with Robyn Laditka.
- The STEM Zone Coordinator, Kara Melrose.
Visit our Zone Staffing Information page to learn more about the Zone office hours for your Zone Interns and Professors.
What are students saying about the Zone?
“[The most valuable aspect is] the opportunity to struggle through and solve problems with peers.”
“It is a space dedicated specifically for STEM, so it is a very focused environment to study in. It also develops a STEM community at Wooster.”