Scottish Arts Scholarship
The Scottish Arts Scholarship is awarded to first-year students (transfers are not eligible) on the basis of music performance skills demonstrated at the audition. Winners are not required to major or minor in music at Wooster.
To apply for the Scottish Arts Scholarship, please follow these instructions:
2. Submit TWO letters of recommendation (from teachers or instructors in the respected field) by November 1.
3. Attend an audition weekend held on-campus in Scheide Music Center. (Scottish Arts Scholarship Auditions will be held November 30-December 1, 2018; January 18-19, 2019; and February 8-9, 2019).
Recipients who would like to be notified of a potential scholarship award by December 31 must attend the November 30-December 1, 2018 audition weekend and complete all steps by November 1.
A second round of applications will be accepted until January 1. Second round applicants must audition during the January or February audition weekends. Second round recipients will be notified by April 1.
Please be prepared to play selections from the following, as chosen by the panel of judges:
- 2/4 March Strathspey and Reel
- 4/4 March Hornpipe and Jig
- Slow March Piobaireachd (optional)
Please be prepared to perform two of the following, as chosen by the panel of judges:
- Sword Dance
- Seann Triubhas
- Strathspey & Reel (optional)
Please be prepared to perform the following:
- Scottish Style Drum Rudiments (chosen by judges)
- Drum Setting for Traditional Tunes
- A Drum Solo (optional)
Expectations of Recipients
Beginning with the first semester of the first year and continuing for as long as the scholarship is held, recipients must:
- Enroll in and successfully complete private lessons on the instrument in which the Scottish Arts Scholarship was won.
- Participate in the Scot Marching and Symphonic Bands.
Questions & Concerns
Please contact Donna Reed, Administrative Coordinator, at 330-263-2419.