Visiting Assistant Professor - Earth Sciences
Office: Scovel 104
- B.A., Colgate University 2012
- M.A., University of Colorado Boulder 2014
- Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder 2017
- GEOL 200: Processes and Concepts in Geology
- GEOL 220: Introduction to GIS
- GEOL 299: Hydrology
- GEOL 299: Statistics for Earth Sciences
Awards and Professional Memberships
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow (2014 – 2017)
- Shannon McCune Prize in Geography (2012)
- Norma Vergo Prize in Geology (2012)
- American Geophysical Union (2010 – present)
- Chris Menolasino ('18): “Comparison of the predictability of September sea ice extent in three historical periods”
- Jacob Nowell ('18): “Validation of the Simple Ocean Data Analysis (Version 3) in the Bering Strait using ocean mooring data”
- Crawford AD & MC Serreze (2017). Projected changes in the Arctic frontal zone and summer Arctic cyclone activity in the CESM Large Ensemble. Journal of Climate,30 (24), 9847-9869, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0296.1
- Koyama T, J Stroeve, J Cassano, A Crawford (2017). Sea ice loss and Arctic cyclone activity from 1979 to 2014. Accepted at Journal of Climate, 30, 4735-4754, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0542.1.
- Crawford AD & MC Serreze (2016). Does the Arctic frontal zone impact summer cyclone activity in the Arctic Ocean? Journal of Climate, 29, 4977-4993, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0755.s1.
- Lynch AH, MC Serreze, EN Cassano, AD Crawford, J Stroeve (2016). Linkages between Arctic summer circulation regimes and regional sea ice anomalies. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121, 7868–7880, 1-18, doi:10.1002/2016JD025164.
- Serreze MC, AD Crawford, AP Barrett, J Stroeve (2016). Variability, trends and predictability of seasonal sea ice retreat and advance in the Chukchi Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 127, 1-18. doi: 10.1002/2016JC011977.
- Stroeve J, AD Crawford, S Stammerjohn (2016). Using timing of ice retreat to predict timing of fall freeze-up in the Arctic. Geophysical Research Letters, 42, doi: 10.1002/2016GL069314
- Crawford A & M Serreze (2015). A new look at the summer Arctic frontal zone. Journal of Climate, 28 (2), 737-754, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00447.1.
- Serreze MC, AD Crawford, AP Barrett (2015). Extreme daily precipitation events at Svalbard, an Arctic Island. International Journal of Climatology, 35 (15), 4575-4588, doi: 10.1002/joc.4308.
Dr. Crawford joined the Geology faculty in 2017. His research focuses on the Arctic climate system, with particular emphasis on the formation of synoptic-scale storms, extreme weather events, the seasonal sea ice predictability, and the response of these phenomena to long-term climate change.