Associate Professor - Psychology, Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Office: Morgan 120
- B.A. Saint Mary's College of California
- M.A., Claremont
- Ph.D., Purdue University
- Introduction to Psychology
- Research Methods
- Psychology of Women and Gender
- Stereotypes and Prejudice
- Personality: Theory and Research
- Social Psychology: Theory and Research
- First-Year Seminar
- The Global HIV/AIDS Crisis (team-taught course)
- Clayton, S., Garcia, A. L., & Crosby, F. J. (2010). Women in the workplace: Acknowledging difference. In H. Landrine & N. F. Russo (Eds.), Handbook of Diversity in Feminist Psychology. New York: Springer.
- Miller, D. A., Cronin, T., Garcia, A. L., & Branscombe, N. R. (2009). The relative impact of anger and efficacy on collective action is affected by feelings of fear. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 12(4), 445-462.
- Riggio, H., & Garcia, A. (2009). The power of situations: Jonestown and the fundamental attribution error. Teaching of Psychology, 36, 108-112.
- Cooley, E. L., Garcia, A. L., & Hughes, J. (2008). Undergraduate research in psychology: Reflections on collaboration and mutual benefits. North American Journal of Psychology, 10, 463-472.
- Riggio, H. R., Garcia, A. L., & Riggio, R. E. (2008). Instructor's manual and test bank to accompany Introduction to Industrial/Organizational Psychology (5th ed.). New York: Prentice Hall.
- Garcia, A. L., Miller, D. A., Smith, E. R., & Mackie, D. M. (2006). Thanks for the compliment? Emotional reactions to remarks directed at the group vs. individual level. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 9, 307-324.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Garcia, A. L. & Goodwin, W. (2010, January). Service learning and teaching psychology: Working with community organizations. Paper presented at the Teaching Pre-conference at the annual meeting of the Society of Personality and Social Psychology in Las Vegas, NV.
- Miller, D. A. & Garcia, A. L. (2009, May). Let them hate so long as they fear! The relationship between collective action and anger is suppressed by feelings of fear. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association in Chicago, IL.
- Cooley, E. L., Hughes, J., Garcia, A. L. (2009, February). Usefulness of psychological research: Perspectives of undergraduates vs. alumni. Panel presented at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Psychological Association in New Orleans, LA.
- Garcia, A. L. & Riggio, H. R. (2009, February). Latinos' attitudes toward interethnic couples. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology in Tampa, FL.
- Garcia, A. L. (2010, October). Impression Formation in Dyads. Social and Personality Reading Group, University of Oregon.
- Garcia, A. L. (2009, February). Why can’t we all get along? Identity and Intergroup Relations. Faculty Research Lunch, The College of Wooster.
- Alex Karrfalt—The Effect of Music on Mood and Video Game Performance (Completed December 2011)
- Amanda Koehn –Climate Change in the Media: Collective Guilt and Behavioral Effects of News Reports and Environmental Identity
- Caroline Denzer—Pornographic Influence: Men’s Perceptions of Women and their Relationship Reflections
- Abigail Fitzsimons—The Effect of Power and Accountability on Cognitive Performance
- Carmen Guess—Comparing Success and Satisfaction of Black and White Students Attending Predominately White Institutions
- Ricco Gordon
Social Loafing: Insider and Outsider Perspectives
- Elissa Lauber
College Students’ Perceptions of Public Displays of Affection
- George Porter
Do You Have Love for New York? The Effects of “I Love New York” on Empathy, Governmental Responsibility and Governmental Support.
- Lindsay Ryan
To Label or Not to Label: The Effect of Labels on Person Perception of Autistic Adults
- Valeriya Spektor
A Date with Culture: The Roles of Cultural Values and Personality Traits in Emerging Adults’ Dating Attitudes and Sociosexual Behavior
- Robert James Crumpler II
Social Facilitation, Competition, and Personality: Individual Differences in Simulated Bowling Performance
- Anna Quinn Denzer
Gingerism: Negative Stereotypes of Redheads
- Robert Fitzgerald
Self-Determination and Wilderness Experiences
- Meredith Gavin
Why Can’t We Get Along? An Analysis of the Influence of Attachment Style and Drive to Marry on Conflict Resolution (double major with Communication; James Hikens, co-advisor)
- Bryan Loy
What Makes Me Smile When I Sweat? How Components of Exercise Influence a Change Between Pre and Post-Exercise Mood
- Rachel Ricketts
Personality as a Predictor for Conflict Resolution Styles
- Jilliene Johnson
Make the Decision: Do You Promote or Deny Based on a Disease?
- LuAnn Markley
Trains, Planes, and Racial Bias: The Effects of Context on Implicit and Explicitly Activated Attitudes
- Milena Mauric
Children of Divorce Versus Children of Intact Families: Does Parental Status Influence How One Evaluates Different Marital Situations?
- Melissa Petkovsek
Aggressive Affect and Racial Stereotyping of Latino Suspects: Video Games as a Mood Modifier to Investigate Perceptions of Criminality
- Daniel Keith Terlonge
Guns and Sexuality: Pulling the Trigger of Attractiveness
- Emily Wilson
You (Don’t) Sound Gay! A Study on the Effects of Homosexual Speech and Expectancy Violation in Target Likeability
- Joseph Witkowski
Maintaining Stereotypes within Gender Communication Using Serial Reproduction Chains
- Katherine Patton
Laundry is the Only Thing that Should be Sorted by Color: The Role of Anxiety in Deterring Interracial Interactions
- Patrick Litam
Birds of a Feather Flock Together: A Study of Ethnicity and Personality Value Similarities Concerning Interpersonal Attraction
- Maria Gonzalez
Experiences and Thoughts: A Daily Diary Study of Psychological Well-Being
- Divya Gopikumar
Evaluations of Advertisements by Cultural Values