Assistant Professor - English
Office: Kauke 216
- B.A., Yale University
- M.A., Johns Hopkins University
- Ph.D., Boston University
- Empire of Ruin: Black Classicism and American Imperial Culture (New York: Oxford University Press, 2017)
Essays & Articles
- "The Cod and the Whale: Melville in the Time of Extinction," American Literature 89.4 (2017)
- “Europe, Mexico, and the African American 1848,” forthcoming in African American Literature in Transition, Volume 4: 1830-1850, ed. Benjamin Fagan (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
- “Ruins amidst Ruins: Black Classicism and the Empire of Slavery,” American Literature 86.2 (June 2014).
- “Ancient History, American Time: Chesnutt’s Outsider Classicism and the Present Past,” PMLA 129.1 (January 2014). William Riley Parker Prize, Honorable Mention.
Teaching and Research Interests
- American Literature
- African American Literature and Culture
- Environmental Humanities