Associate Professor - Department Chair
- B.S., Marshall University 2001
- Ph.D., Duke University 2007
- GEOL 105: Geology of Natural Hazards
- GEOL 208: Mineralogy
- GEOL 308: Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- GEOL 350: Special Topics in Geochemistry
- FYS – Collapse of Civilization: Human Error or Natural Catastrophe?
- FYS – Nature Walks
Selected I.S. Projects
- Trevor Shoemaker (2016): "A Magmastatic Model: The Computational Exploration of Correlative Sheeted Dike Components and Implications for Dike Eruptibility"
- Mary Reinthal (2016): "Volatile analysis of glaciovolcanic glass rinds collected from Pillow Ridge in the Mount Edziza Volcanic Complex, NCVP, British Columbia, Canada"
- Brittany Nicholson (2016): "Mentoring Structures in Undergraduate Research”
- Alex Hiatt (2014): "Volatile contents of basaltic glasses from subglacial pillow lavas, Iceland"
- Whitney Sims (2013): "Distribution of Lava Flows, Miter Cinder Cone, Ice Springs Volcanic Field, Black Rock Desert, Utah"
- Lindsey Bowman (2012): "Geochemical and Field Relationships of Pillow and Dike Units in a Subglacial Pillow Ridge, Undirhlithar Quarry, Southwest Iceland"
- Geological Society of America (GSA)
- Council on Undegraduate Research (CUR)
- Willis, K.V.**, L. Srogi, T. Lutz, F.C. Monson, and M. Pollock, 2017, Phase composition maps integrate mineral compositions with rock textures from the micro-meter to the thin section scale: Computers & Geosciences, v. 109, p. 162-177, doi: 10.1016/j.cageo.2017.08.009.
- Nicholson, B.A.*, M. Pollock, C.J. Ketcham, H.M. Fitz Gibbon, E.D. Bradley, and M. Bata, 2017, Beyond the mentor-mentee model: A case for multi-mentoring in undergraduate research: Perspectives on Undergraduate research, v. 6.1, http://blogs.elon.edu/purm/2017/10/26/beyond-the-mentor-mentee-model-a-case-for-multi-mentoring-in-undergraduate-research-purm-6-1/.
- E.D. Bradley, M. Bata, H.M. FitzGibbon, C. J. Ketcham, B.A. Nicholson*, and M. Pollock, 2017, The structure of mentoring in undergraduate research: Multi-mentor models: Scholarship and Practice of Undergraduate Research, Winter 2017, v. 1(2), p. 35-42, doi: 10.1883/spur/1/2/12.
- Pollock, M., B.R. Edwards, S. Hauksdóttir, *R. Alcorn, *L. Bowman, (2014). Geochemical and lithostratigraphic constraints on the formation of pillow-dominated tindars from Undirhlíðar quarry, Reykjanes Peninsula, Southwest Iceland, Lithos, 200-201, 317-333, doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2014.04.023.
- Judge, S., M. Pollock, G. Wiles, and M. Wilson, (2012). Mentored undergraduate research in the geosciences, Eos Trans. AGU, 93(36), 345-346, doi:10.1029/2012EO360001.
- Pollock, M., (2011). Role of technology in undergraduate research in the geosciences: a rapidly changing landscape, On The Cutting Edge – Undergraduate Research as a Teaching Practice.
- Srogi, L., T. Lutz, L.D. Dickson, M. Pollock, K. Gimson, and N. Lynde, (2010). Magmatic layering and intrusive plumbing in the Jurassic Morgantown Sheet, Central Atlantic Magmatic Province, in Fleeger, G.M., and Whitmeyer, S.J., eds., The Mid-Atlantic Shore to the Appalachian Highlands: Field Trip Guidebook for the 2010 Joint Meeting of the Northeastern and Southeastern GSA Sections: Geological Society of America Field Guide 16, doi:10.1130/2010.0016(04).
- Pollock, M.A., E.M. Klein, J.A. Karson, and D.S. Coleman, (2009). Compositions of dikes and lavas from the Pito Deep Rift: Implications for crustal accretion at superfast spreading centers, Journal of Geophysical Research, 114, B03207, doi:10.1029/2007JB5436.
- Heft, K.L., K.M. Gillis, M.A. Pollock, J.A. Karson, E.M. Klein, (2008). Role of upwelling hydrothermal fluids in the development of alteration patterns at fast spreading ridges: Evidence from the sheeted dike complex at Pito Deep, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 9, 5, doi:10.1029/2007GC001926.
- Pollock, M.A., E.M. Klein, J.A. Karson, and M.A. Tivey, (2005). Temporal and spatial variability in the composition of lavas exposed along the Western Blanco Transform Fault, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 11, 6, doi:10.1029/2005GC001026.
Dr. Pollock joined the Geology faculty in 2008, her interests include mid-ocean ridges, igneous geochemistry/petrology/mineralogy, solid earth processes, geoscience education.