Sarah J. Sobeck (Schmidtke)
Professor - Chemistry & Associate Dean for Experiential Learning
- B.S., Marquette University, Chemistry and Mathematics, 2000
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota, Physical Chemistry, 2005
Area of Research
- Chemical kinetics
- Computational chemistry
- Cultural Heritage
- CHEM 101: Chemistry and the World in Which We Live
- CHEM 111: General Chemistry I
- CHEM 112: General Chemistry II
- CHEM 318: Physical Chemistry I
- CHEM 319: Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 334: Biophysical Chemistry
- CHEM 401: Introduction to Independent Study
I.S. Projects Mentored
- Haley Rossiter Investigating the Impact of Substituent Positioning on the Photochemistry
of meta and or-
tho Aminbenzoic Acid Derivatives
- Catherine Boyles: Effect of Metal Salts and Anoxia on the Photodegradation of Red Food Dyes
- Amanda Carmichael: Cochineal: Connecting Chemistry and Religious Studies through the World of Art
- National Science Foundation: Major Research Instrumentation Program Acquisition of an NMR Spectrometer to Sustain Excellence in Undergraduate Research with Paul Bonvallet (PI), Judith Amburgey-Peters, Spring Knapp and Mark Snider 2016-2019
- American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund (ACS PRF), Undergraduate Research Grant 2013-2018
- NSF-CRIF Grant (Co-PI): University of Minnesota CyberMULE 2010
Awards, Professional Memberships, and Activities
- Expanding Your Horizons workshop presenter for adolescent girls promoting science & math careers (annually April) 2008-present
- B-WISER (Buckeye Women in Science, Engineering, and Research Institute) workshop presenter for adolescent girls' science camp (annually June) 2007-present
- Wayne County LEPC (Local Emergency Planning Committee) member 2015-present
- IUPAC Young Observer 2015
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Wooster Local Section of the ACS Chair 2014-present
- Wooster Local Section of the ACS Secretary 2007-2013
- Inter-American Photochemical Society (I-APS)
*Asterisk denotes Wooster student co-author
- Leah M. Rader Bowers*, Sarah J. Schmidtke Sobeck "Impact of medium and ambient environment on the photodegradation of carmine in solution and paints." Dyes and Pigments, 2016, 127, 18-24.
- Jacob A. Boroff*, Zachery D. Matesich*, Daniela Canache Stuetzer*, Sarah J. Schmidtke Sobeck; "Solvent impact on the photophysical properties and escited state behavior of p-aminobenzoic acids." Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 2015, 305, 60-66.
- Elisa Leyva, Sarah J. Schmidtke Sobeck, Silvia E. Loredo-Carrillo, Diego A. Magaldi-Lara; "Spectral and structural characterization of 2-(fluorophenylamino)- and 2-(nitrophenylamino)-1,4-naphthoquinone derivatives." Journal of Molecular Structure, 2014, 1068, 1-7.
- Sarah J. Schmidtke Sobeck; "Solvent Effects on Electronic Absorption: Positive and Negative Solvatochromism." Chemical Educator, 2013, 18, 009-103.
- Mitchell P. Thayer*, Colin McGuyire*, Elana M. S. Stennett*, Mary Kate Lockhart*, Daniela Canache*, Marnie Novak*, and Sarah J. Schmidtke; "pH-Dependent Spectral Properties of para-Aminobenzoic Acid and its Derivatives." Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 2011, 84, 227-232.
- Brandi M. Baughman*, Elana Stennett*, Rachel E. Lipner*, Andrew C. Rudawsky*, and Sarah J. Schmidtke; "Structural and Spectroscopic Studies of the Photophysical Properties of Benzophenone Derivatives." J. Phys. Chem. A, 2009, 113(28), 8011-8019.
- Sarah J. Schmidtke, Ph.D. Dissertation, "Physical Properties and Dynamics of Hydrogen Bonding and Proton Transfer Compounds." University of Minnesota, 2005.
- Sarah J. Schmidtke, David F. Underwood, and David A. Blank. "Probing excited-state dynamics and intramolecular proton transfer in 1-acylaminoanthraquinones via the intermolecular solvent response." J. Phys. Chem. A, 2005, 109(32), 7033-7045.
- Sarah J. Schmidtke, David F. Underwood, and David A. Blank. "Following the solvent directly during ultrafast excited state proton transfer." J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2004, 126(28), 8620-8621.
- Sarah J. Schmidtke, Laura A. MacManus-Spencer, Jamie J. Klappa, T. A. Mobley, Kristopher McNeill, and David A. Blank. "2-(2'-Pyridyl)pyrroles: Part I. Structure and energetics of Pyridylpyrroles, their Dimers, Complexes and Excited States." Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2004, 6(15), 3938-3947.