Guidelines for Move-Out
In response to the Ohio Governor’s “stay-at-home” order, which became effective at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 23, we will no longer be providing designated Wednesdays for picking up belongings beyond Wednesday, March 25 for move-out.
Please know that if you are not able to pick up your belongings, they will remain safe here on campus.
If you will not be travelling to campusbefore Saturday, March 28, we are providing several options for you to handle your belongings. Again, we encourage people not to travel at this time, as your safety is most important, and we can keep your belongings secure until it is safe to travel.
If you have cleared out your room on campus and do not have any belongings remaining in your residential space, please complete a checkout form either through your Housing Self Service or through our Online Express Checkout Form.
If you have already completed an Express Checkout form when you moved out, you are all set!
Option 1: Leave your belongings
Leave your belongings secure in your room, as you left it, until a future date depending on Ohio/national events.
NOTE: Be aware that our staff will need to access your room to make sure perishables are discarded, unplug any appliances, etc.
We will monitor the information provided by state health authorities and communicate with students when we expect that they will be able to return to pack or retrieve belongings.
If you choose to leave your belongings, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Option 2: Have us send you a few essentials
You would like us to send you a few essential belongings from your room (laptop, documents, medications, etc.) and/or from your library carrel. We will pack and ship these at no cost to you.
If you choose to have us send you a few essentials, fill out this form.
Option 3: Have us pack up and ship or store your entire room
You would like your entire room packed up and stored at no cost to you, or you would like your entire room packed up and shipped home at a cost to be determined based on your location and the number of boxes.
If you'd like your room packed and stored or shipped, fill out this form and someone will contact you to make arrangements.
The College will work with Bedloft.com to make sure the fridges are returned. We already do this at the end of the year, we are just moving up our timeline for return.
If you are not able to retrieve your vehicle, you can leave it on campus.
If you are not on campus, we will forward mail to your home address.* The Post Office can return items to the sender, free of charge as well.*
If you need your mail/packages to stay at the College please email email@example.com to keep your mailbox open through the end of the semester/summer.
Any questions? Contact Jen Scale via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will be able to pick up a free packing set at Service Center between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. located at 580 E. Wayne Ave, behind Longbrake Student Wellness and Culbertson /Slater (Security and Protective Services).
The packs contain the following:
- Roll of Packing Tape
- 2 small boxes: 18x13x13 or 1.5 cu box (small box for books, small heavier items)
- 2 medium boxes: 18x18x18 or 3.0 cu box (medium box for shoes, clothes, computers)
- 2 large boxes: 18x18x24 or 4.5 cu box (large box for bedding, larger lighter items)
Each student will only be able to get one pack.
How to Check Out
You may check out three different ways:
- Complete the express check-out online. Note: The date and time check-outs are submitted will be used to determine if fees need to be assessed to the student account.
- Complete the express-check-out form in person at the Campus Life Office or at Security. There is a box available for you to place forms in after hours.
- The Campus Life Office (Lowry) - give to the front desk worker OR the lockbox on the front door
- Campus Access/Security and Protective Services - lockbox near Dispatch
- Check-out through the Housing Self-Service site.
NOTICE: Students that do not check-out properly, either through an appointment or completing an express check-out form, forfeit the right to appeal damages.
Requirements for Check Out
Before you leave, you need to complete the following:
- Remove all items from the room.
- Remove all personal belongings from common areas.
- CLEAN - the room/house must be in the condition it was when you moved in.
- Wipe off desks, dressers, tables, countertops, and vanities.
- Empty and wipe out all of the drawers.
- Empty all trash cans and recycling bins.
- Take all trash and place in the dumpster located closest to your residence hall or house. Place all recycling in the appropriate bins.
- Remove all posters, tape, and decorations, including anything on windows.
- Un-bunk or un-loft beds and un-stack all furniture. DO NOT repair any damages to College property - this must be done by the Service Center staff.
- Resolve any damage issues between roommates. Unless an individual accepts responsibility in writing on the check-out form or is found accountable via a conduct hearing, all persons in the living environment will be held responsible. Individuals can claim responsibility for damages by emailing Residence Life from their wooster.edu email.
- Check out (see check-out information above)
- Turn in keys
If you are in possession of a hard key for The College of Wooster campus, please let
us know and return your assigned hard key(s) to us no later than Friday, May 8, 2020.
If you have already left campus, and you have a physical house key, Please let us
know and mail your physical key via a carrier with a tracking number to:
ATTN CAMPUS ACCESS
THE COLLEGE OF WOOSTER
1189 BEALL AVENUE
WOOSTER, OH 44691
Please wrap the key in a separate piece of paper or a plastic bag in order to avoid having it escape the envelop in transit.
If you are still on campus, please remember to leave your physical house key or keys as you depart in one of the deposit boxes in the residence life and security offices. Envelopes are available in both locations. Please list your name, building and room number on your envelope and deposit your key in the deposit box.
As a reminder, there will be a $150.00 fee for any unreturned key.
Dumpsters have been placed in the following locations:
- Luce Hall
- Gault Schoolhouse
- Scot Cottage
- Compton Hall
- Andrews Hall
- Douglass Hall
- Bissman Hall
- Bornhuetter Hall
- Kennedy Apt
- Fairlawn Apt
- Kittridge Hall
- Babcock Hall
- Brush Hall
- Frye House
Room inspections will be done in comparison to room condition reports that were completed when students moved into their assigned spaces. If a student did not complete a room condition report upon moving into their space, there is no way to verify existing damage within a space at the time of move-out. Due to needing to depart so promptly, students will be asked to make sure their rooms are as clean as possible but we will not bill for trash or cleaning.
Should students choose not to complete an express check-out form, students waive their rights to dispute charges assessed for damage assigned to their residential spaces.
Each student will receive notification through their Wooster email from Residence Life about the damages that have been assessed to their account, along with information about the individual damages they are being charged for. If students have followed proper check-out procedures, an appeal is made possible by documenting concerns and sending the appeal to the Residential Life Office using the online appeals form. All appeals should be submitted within thirty (30) days of the date the charges are sent to the student's wooster.edu email account.