Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
Gault Library - Lower Level
1140 Beall Ave.
Wooster, OH 44691
As an osteopathic physician, the goal is to make life easier or more comfortable for the patient by removing disease and enabling functional health. Optimal health encompasses the mind, body and spirit; a daily activity includes engaging with patients socially in order to partner with them to move from their current condition to a state of optimal health.
- Diagnose and care for people of all ages who are ill or have been injured
- Take medical histories
- Perform physical examinations
- Conduct diagnostic tests
- Recommend and provide treatment
- Advise patients on their overall health and well-being
Preparing for Admission
- Resources for researching schools: View list of osteopathic schools on the AACOM website
- Prerequisite coursework: varies by school. Use The College Information Book individual school websites to explore prerequisites.
- Standardized Tests: Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- Experience/Exposure: Helpful resources for gaining the necessary hands-on experience can be found on the AAMC website (Experience Resource Guide)
- Letters of Recommendation: Varies by school. Use The College Information Book to determine the requirements of each school. Schools generally prefer a committee or composite letter. The College of Wooster’s process for requesting a committee letter can be found on the Pre-Health website.
The Admissions Cycle:
- There is a Centralized Application Process (AACOMAS) that most D.O. schools participate
- Application opens and can be submitted in early May
- Application deadlines: Deadlines vary. The earliest AACOMAS deadline is December; the last AACOMAS deadline is April 1.
- The fee for submitting the first application is $195. Each additional application submitted at the time of the first submission is $40.
- AACOMAS has a fee waiver program for eligible students. Fee waivers run out quickly, so apply by August for best consideration.
- AACOM has created a thorough instruction manual and FAQ which is helpful for students in the application process.