Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
400 E. University Street
Wooster, OH 44691
Majors explore their own research questions relating to gender and sexuality. In their Jr. Independent Study seminar, Doing Feminist Research, WGSS majors, minors, and other students who plan to pursue feminist research in their I.S. are introduced to feminist research methods as well as distinctive feminist critical approaches to issues in the social sciences, natural sciences, and the humanities. In their senior year, working under the guidance of a faculty member, students explore their own research for the Independent Study project.
Recent I.S. Projects
- a study of fat positive feminism in blogs
- an analysis of novels about eating disorders published in the U.S. and France
- an investigation of feminist Bible study techniques in South Africa
- a study of masculinity in the ex-gay movement
- a cross-cultural feminist analysis of quinceañeras in Nicaragua & the U.S.
- a study of charged comedy aimed at combatting racism, sexism & homophobia through stand-up comedy
- a photovoice project with LGBTQ+ students on campus
- the development of an augmented reality video game to teach students, staff & faculty about the experience of sexual assault survivors
For detailed information, please refer to our I.S Handbook .
Learn more about Independent Study.