We support students by offering opportunities designed to enhance their educational experiences, improve their academic performance, and encourage informed and intentional decision-making.
Speak with an APEX Advisor
Do you want to talk with someone about your course selection, potential majors, or your educational goals? Would you like help with developing personalized strategies for enhancing your academic learning? Stop by the front desk in APEX or call 330-287-1919 to make an appointment with an APEX Advisor (M-F 9:00 – 4:30), or drop in during Walk-in-Wednesdays 1:30-4:00.
Held most Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. fall semester, Wooster 101 sessions (.pdf) offer an introduction to strategies, resources and opportunities to help students make the most of their educational experience. The range of topics include effective time management, college-level reading and writing, and information on Off-Campus Study programs and internships. Check the calendar and join us!
First year and transfer students can meet weekly with a trained upperclass student who can help with the transition to Wooster. Students who have worked with a peer mentor report great satisfaction and success during their first year at Wooster. Contact Cathy McConnell to be paired with a Peer Mentor.
Tools for Educational Planning
Below are several tools that have been proven to help students with their educational planning. You can use these on your own or meet with an APEX Advisor for feedback and further ideas.
- Sketch out possible course schedules (.xlsx)
- Draft a 4-year educational plan (.docx) to visualize your academic, personal and professional goals
- Map out how you spend your time (.xlsx) to plan your academic and extra-curricular activities and manage your time effectively
- Make connections between your aspirations and the College's Mission, Core Values, and Graduate Qualities
Tips for Academic Success
- Meet with your academic advisor more than once each semester
- Meet with the faculty members teaching the courses you are taking outside of class
- Get help early if you are struggling with a course. Contact the Learning Center for a peer tutor
- Keep track of due dates for large assignments and when exams are scheduled in all your classes. Use tools such as the monthly calendar (.pdf) to help to organize your big assignments and events.