APEX - Gault Library
1140 Beall Ave.
Wooster, OH 44691
How to Calculate A Grade Point Average (GPA)
A grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total amount of grade points earned by the total amount of GPA credits attempted. A GPA may range from 0.0 to a 4.0.
Definition of Terms
- Credits: The credits assigned to a course. E.g., .125; .25; .50; 1.0; 1.25, etc.
- Grade Value: The numerical value assigned to a grade.
|H||Not calculated in GPA|
|G||Not calculated in GPA|
|S||Not calculated in GPA|
|SP||Not calculated in GPA|
|W||Not calculated in GPA|
|L||Not calculated in GPA|
|NC||Not calculated in GPA|
|I||Not calculated in GPA|
- Grade Points: The number of credit hours for a course multiplied by the grade value.
- Attempted Hours: Credits for which you are registered that can earn a letter grade.
- Earned Hours: Credits earned from courses that you passed.
Example of How to Calculate a GPA
|Example Student Transcript|
|Course:||Credit Hours:||Grade:||Grade Points:|
|4.25 Total Credit Hours Attempted||12.33375 Total Grade Points|
To get the example student's GPA, the total grade points are divided by the total credit hours attempted. Thus, this example student's GPA is: 12.33375 divided by 4.25 = 2.9020588 ( or 2.90 ).
Calculating A Cumulative GPA
To calculate a cumulative GPA, total the GPA credits and then the grade points from all semesters. Divide the total grade points by the total GPA credits.