Archival Copy Submission

What needs to be submitted?

First, submit your digital I.S. online to the Libraries' Open Works website:

Next, submit to the Registrar's Office:

  • Two bound hard copies of the I.S.
  • Two additional copies of the I.S. cover page only (loose, not bound)
  • You must submit your I.S. digitally before the hard copies will be accepted by the Registrar's Office.

How to submit your I.S. to Open Works

What formats are accepted?

  • PDF (.pdf) * Preferred
  • Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx)
  • Datasets (ex: .zip files, Excel tables, Stata or SPSS files)
  • Audio/Video/Images
    If you have an embedded video you wish to include with your IS, first upload it to a hosting service like Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud, then include the link under the "Streaming Media" question on the IS submission form. Do not directly upload a video file to Open Works due to the potentially large file size.

How should I label my I.S.?

Please name your file(s) following the example below: (Use an underscore instead of spaces)


Appropriate file extension (.pdf for PDF files and .doc or .docx for Word files--e.g., 2014Lastname_Firstname.pdf)

  • Graduation Year
  • Last Name
  • First Name (if applicable)
  • Part Number (if submitting multiple files)
  • Appropriate file extension (.pdf for PDF files and .doc for Word files--e.g., 2015smith_john.pdf)
  • Graduation Year

Where can I get help?

Email the Open Works staff or contact the Research Help Desk at 330-263-2096 for questions.

Who can read my I.S. once I have submitted the digital copy?

When you submit your I.S., it will only be available to read by authenticated College of Wooster users. No Independent Study project will be distributed off campus without the express permission of the student author, and in some cases, the faculty advisor as well.

What if my I.S. has personal information that needs to be hidden or redacted?

First submit your I.S. to Open Works. Then email and CC your advisor and describe the reason for requesting the embargo. We will work with you to insert redactions into your I.S. so that when the embargo expires, the personal information in your I.S. will continue to stay private. No I.S. will be posted without having first satisfied these requirements.

What if my I.S. contains proprietary research that I want to publish later?

There is an option to have your I.S. embargoed for up to 5 years after graduation, where anyone requesting to view your I.S. would require your and your advisor's expressed permission. If you wish to request this, first submit your I.S. to Open Works, then immediately send an email to the Open Works staff and CC your advisor. The Open Works staff will place an embargo on your I.S. and hide the abstract before posting it.

How do I submit a revised copy of my I.S.?

  1. Log in to your account
  2. On your "My Account" page, you will see your I.S. submission, as well as its current status. Click on your I.S. title to revise it.
  3. You should now see the option to "Revise submission" in the top left of this page. Clicking on that link will take you to the submission form, with your I.S's current metadata. You may change metadata and/or upload a new document on this page.
  4. After making any necessary changes, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the I.S. submission form.

When I try to register an Open Works account, it says my email address is invalid.

This error appears if you entered your email address incorrectly. One example is to accidentally type a single space after your email, which causes the system to not validate the email. Try re-entering your email address with no spaces or other disallowed characters before or after your email.